Assistant Camp Director
Canton, MA, United States
8 days ago
Sanctuary: Museum of American Bird Art
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
The Museum of American Bird Art (MABA) is 121-acre wildlife sanctuary, uniquely composed of wildlife sanctuary and an art studio and maker’s space.
Wild at Art Camp is seeking an enthusiastic and qualified Assistant Camp Director for the summer of 2022 to work full-time with our nature, art, and science camp. This position works closely with the Camp Director in all programmatic, safety, and administrative components of camp. The Assistant Director will oversee camp operations; provides guidance, instruction and supervision of campers and Camp Counselors, and daily logistics.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend Mass Audubon’s Camp Field School, if schedule allows-during staff training
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for children
- Serve as a vital bridge between camp staff and the camp director
- Maintain the physical environment of camp by assisting with and delegating housekeeping tasks
- Assist with development and teaching of pre-camp and in-service trainings at Moose Hill
- Have the physical ability to walk over unimproved terrain and to assist campers in an emergency; operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather condition
- Assist with the direction of the day-to-day activities of the camp program and with the supervision of the day camp staff
- Supervise and develop Counselor-Instructor staff under the direct guidance of the Camp Director
- Lead, motivate and evaluate staff in a positive environment
- Abide by and enforce camp policies
- Participate in daily meeting/planning sessions with other staff
- Protect the physical and emotional welfare of the campers and make independent safety decisions when needed
- Regularly monitor work of counselors
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Be at least 22 years of age
- Have a minimum of one season’s experience as a camp counselor or school teacher (other child care experience may be considered)
- Have demonstrated ability to work with and communicate effectively with persons of all ages
- Hold current certification in first aid and CPR during the full period of employment
- Have demonstrated experience in working with children in a safe and effective manner
- Have the ability to work cooperatively and independently
- Have effective communication skills
- Be available to follow the camp schedule, which includes working some extended days.
- Interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or art
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record (MMR, tetanus, etc.) and complete the camp’s health form and waiver
- Have experience working in a supervisor role at a day or resident camp
Nice to Have’s:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences, outdoor recreation, environmental education, art, education, or other field related to child care/development
- The preferred candidate will have supervisory skills and experience working or volunteering at a nature camp, nature center, or outdoor interpretive center
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base rate is $17.50 - $18.00; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is not a benefits eligible position.
Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: