Assistant Camp Director
Boston, MA, United States
8 days ago
Location: * West Roxbury, MA*
Sanctuary: * Boston Nature Center*
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Assistant Camp Director – Camp BNC – West Roxbury
BNC Camp staff and families are diverse in ethnicity, socio-economics, gender, abilities, and more. Camp is equitable and inclusive for families through a variety of strategies including sliding scale fees, accessible programing, and community-focused atmosphere. We are looking for an Assistant Director that will support our goal of blending a high-quality environmental education with all the elements of a traditional c& helping children find a connection to nature while receiving all the benefits that come along with a great camp experience. The Assistant Camp Director will support the Camp Director in the daily operations of camp and directly supervise the camp for before care programming (7:30 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.).
Join our team of staff who enjoy learning and working together in a beautiful urban wildlife sanctuary!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Applicants will assist in many of the administrative aspects of camp: oversee the health and safety of campers, communicate with parents, and assist in the supervision of camp staff, teen counselors and volunteer;
- Provide professional development for camp staff including volunteers and camp educators;
- Work as professional mentors to our Junior Counselors throughout the summer;
- Help educators with program planning and substitute teach when needed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Applicants should be at least 21 years of age;
- Ability to work flexible hours; occasional weekend hours during training;
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds and, physical and mental disabilities;
- Must be comfortable in a leadership role and have a willingness to learn;
- Applicants must have CPR/First aid certification or willing to obtain (training will be available);
- Applicants will be expected to have effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and a strong commitment to high quality customer service;
- Must have the ability to lead groups over rough terrain;
Nice to Have’s:
- Have experience working at a camp in a leadership role;
- Be able to work both cooperatively and independently;
- Have strong interpersonal skills;
- Have a love of nature, a sense of fun, and an enthusiastic and positive attitude;
- Applicants should have an interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or education.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $16.50 - $19.50; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is not a benefits eligible position.
40 hours a week with additional hours as needed.
Admin Training – June 6-10
Training - June 20-24
Optional Training - Field School at Wildwood Overnight Camp in Rindge New Hampshire - June (TBD)
Camp Sessions - Monday – Friday, June 27 – August 5
Greater Boston residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Kim Baker – Education Coordinator II /Camp Director
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.50 - $19.50 per hour