Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
Lucid’s Closures Team is looking for a Technical Specialist Closures Hood and Liftgate Systems to design and deliver world leading Closures Systems for our electric vehicle platforms.
Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates should have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly and work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and be excellent at multi-tasking.
- Responsible to lead the design and development of automotive Closures Hood and / or Liftgate systems including structures, mechanisms, and controls strategy with a preference on aluminum or composite designs with knowledge of hinges and kinematic requirements from a blank page through to production.
- Design with excellence at system and component level with great attention to every detail creating optimized for performance, size, weight, durability, and cost.
- Work closely with both internal teams and external suppliers using creativity and teamwork to lead integration of multiple systems in the most efficient way possible.
- Work closely with other stake owners and attribute owners across the company such as Vehicle Safety, Vehicle Dynamics, NVH, Durability, Manufacturing, Design Studio, etc. to create world class designs.
- Collaboration with cross functional teams such as CAE by interpreting and using analysis results to guide and evolve the design.
- Collaboration with manufacturing to ensure efficient process sequence and build quality.
- Cross functionally works with Manufacturing, Design and Product Development as well as with Purchasing, Supplier Quality, Stamping and Suppliers on items such as tool buy-offs and secondary component changes.
- Ability to create testing plan to prove out design concepts and conduct physical testing to confirm the design meets performance targets.
- Ability to collaborate with the Design Team to evaluate Class A styling surfaces to provide feasibility assessments to deliver world class vehicle body structures.
- Perform detailed analysis of section properties, materials, and manufacturing processes through benchmarking activities to understand competitiveness of designs.
- Coordinate virtual engineering and physical validation testing activities for your designs.
- Coordinate and communicate with interfacing suppliers.
- Effectively provide direction to others and negotiate a balanced solution.
- Determine required tolerances using GD&T.
- Travel domestically and internationally as required.
- 8+ years of expertise in automotive Closures Structural systems (Closures-in-white) and sub-systems or Closures hardware and mechanisms at OEM or supplier desired.
- Experience working with Class A surface data.
- Experience in technology, system, and supplier selection with expectation of leading activities
- Experience with castings, the extrusion process, stampings and their advantages and limitations.
- Experience in full life cycle from concept to prototype to full production.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes applicable Closures Structures and Hardware such as hot and cold stampings, extrusions, joining, injection molding, die casting, etc., their advantages, and limitations.
- Project leadership and mentoring skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Detail oriented personality with a determined problem-solving attitude using an Engineering first principles approach.
- Design release engineering experience including engineering change management and project management experiences.
- Proof of excellence in your past position, while demonstrating profound creativity in resolving mechanical design problems.
- Proven 3D CAD skills, proficient with CATIA V5/V6 or similar software.
- Hands-on practical experience in prototype assembly and production assembly with the willingness to assemble your own parts.
- Solid track record of successful system level integration.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent from ABET accredited institution or equivalent body structures automotive experience.
Salary Range: The compensation range for this position is specific to the locations listed below and is the range Lucid reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for the position taking into account the wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including job-related knowledge; skillset; experience, education and training; certifications; and other relevant business and organizational factors.
California (Bay Area) - $138,000-$198,000
Additional Compensation and Benefits: Lucid offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, and 401k. The successful candidate may also be eligible to participate in Lucid’s equity program and/or a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing such programs. (Cash or equity incentive awards, if any, will depend on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and company performance.)
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.