Sr. Counsel Patent & Trademark
Newark, CA, United States
6 days ago
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
As Lucid’s IP counsel you will be asked to primarily advise on legal issues related to trademarks and open source and secondarily on copy rights and patents. In this role you will be responsible for:
Trademarks– You will work with Lucid’s AGC and Senior Marketing counsel to manage all aspects of Lucid’s trademark portfolio, including performing trademark searches, initially managing and transitioning to in-house the prosecution of trademark applications and opposition/cancellation actions domestic).
- conduct online searches and other investigations and works with business teams to research use and file registrations; oversee deadlines and coordinate with outside counsel in various countries to collect and submit documents, as necessary; prepare and file United States trademark and copyright documents and manage execution and legalization of documents; manage all deadlines for a global trademark portfolio, including application, opposition and enforcement; advise on legal issues concerning intellectual property, including copyright law, fair use and the company’s branding and advertising strategies
Brand Enforcement - Manage brand enforcement matters in coordination with our product team and including the drafting of cease and desist templates, UDRPs, and other brand enforcement matters.
Open Source – You will (i) lead Lucid’s open source program, including inbound open source license review requests and bill of materials generation for distributable software. Review open source licenses and inbound IP licensing arrangements and (ii) guide and train internal engineering and business teams on open source licensing, usage, compliance, risk, mitigation, and community engagement matters, often in high pressure situations or on timelines
Patents and Copyright. – You will (i) support the current IP team on patent harvesting and review of outside counsel prosecution and patent drafting and (ii) drive optimization and scalability of Lucid’s copyright process including updating and crafting new templates, processes, policies, trainings, and knowledge sharing resources
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials and membership in good standing in state bar
- 7+ years of legal experience, with minimum 5 years in trademarks and the open source domain
- Demonstrated people leadership capabilities
- Experience advising engineers/engineering teams on legal matters
- Experience advising internal compliance, operations, and process functions
- Demonstrable excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Strong organization and oral communication skills
- Successful track record working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, while remaining collaborative and flexible with your colleagues and business partners
- A demonstrated passion for problem-solving and thinking outside-the-box to get the best business outcomes
Salary Range: The compensation range for this position is specific to the locations listed below and is the range Lucid reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for the position taking into account the wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including job-related knowledge; skillset; experience, education and training; certifications; and other relevant business and organizational factors.
- California (Bay Area) - $150,000 - $195,000 annually
Additional Compensation and Benefits: Lucid offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, and 401k. The successful candidate may also be eligible to participate in Lucid’s equity program and/or a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing such programs. (Cash or equity incentive awards, if any, will depend on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and company performance.)
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
Notice regarding COVID-19 protocols
At Lucid, we prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends above all else. In response to the novel Coronavirus all new Lucid employees, whose job will be based in the United States may or may not be required to provide original documentation confirming status as having received the prescribed inoculation (doses). Vaccination requirements are dependent upon location and position, please refer to the job description for more details.
Individuals in positions requiring vaccinations may seek a medical and/or religious exemption from this requirement and may be granted such an accommodation after submitting a formal request to and the subsequent review and approval thereof by our dedicated Covid-19 Response team.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.