Mechanical Joining Technical Specialist, Body in White
Casa Grande, AZ, United States
1 day ago
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
The Manufacturing R&D Joining Technical Specialist will work with cross-functional teams to design, validate, and roll-out equipment to full high volume production for BIW Manufacturing. The successful candidate will have extensive theoretical and hands-on experience in all facets of various joining technologies and related equipment as well as experience managing new product introductions, equipment projects (new installations) and process optimization, upgrades & modifications. The candidate will be key in driving standardization across all manufacturing lines and processes as well as with all other manufacturing product lines and Lucid Motors factories. This position will work closely with equipment suppliers, external equipment integrators and internally with Product Design Engineering, Quality, Production, and Maintenance to bring Lucid Motors components from initial design, through prototype development and finally into full production.
- Research and develop parameters of different mechanical joining technologies for different substrates including steel & aluminum sheet-metal, extrusions, castings and other composite materials.
- Evaluate and define benefit of new joining technology. Propose and implement as necessary.
- Responsible for designing/selecting mechanical joining systems, implementation, commissioning and programming of such.
- Responsible for mechanical joining implementation for future model launches and process development.
- Lead and coordinate equipment development and procurement of tooling specific to joining technologies in BIW manufacturing.
- Coordinate with production plant team and develop procedures, PMs, control and reaction plans to be handed over to Production Plant team.
- Coordinate with Manufacturing, CAE, NVH, Product Design and other groups for joining properties development & validation.
- Collaborate with Product Engineering team in performing mechanical testing, durability testing, and manufacturing feasibility testing in Advanced Manufacturing Lab
- Lead and assist production in all quality and process related mechanical joining topics and issues.
- Support and assist maintenance team in troubleshooting difficult breakdowns and chronic equipment failures.
- Spare Parts: select and define required and appropriate spare parts & consumables.
- BS in mechanical/manufacturing/metallurgical engineering. Advanced degrees, Masters or Ph.D., are highly preferred.
- 8+ yrs Experience in the automotive industry is highly preferred.
- Extensive experience with most of the following joining processes: Self-pierce riveting, auto bolting, flow drill screw, clinching, hybrid bonding, adhesives, Resistance Spot Welding, Laser welding / operations, draw & arc stud welding, Mig & CMT welding.
- Knowledge of aluminum, steel, and composite materials.
- Experience in setting up and running mechanical joining monitoring & optimization systems is required.
- Experience in joining of dissimilar materials is preferred.
- Experience with operating mechanical testing lab equipment is preferred.
- Proven project management experience.
- Good overall people management skills.
- Solid communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient in CAD (CATIA is a plus).
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
Notice regarding COVID-19 protocols
At Lucid, we prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends above all else. In response to the novel Coronavirus all new Lucid employees, whose job will be based in the United States may or may not be required to provide original documentation confirming status as having received the prescribed inoculation (doses). Vaccination requirements are dependent upon location and position, please refer to the job description for more details.
Individuals in positions requiring vaccinations may seek a medical and/or religious exemption from this requirement and may be granted such an accommodation after submitting a formal request to and the subsequent review and approval thereof by our dedicated Covid-19 Response team.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.