Grid Studies Engineer
São Paulo, Brazil
30+ days ago
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy.
With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
Lightsource bp truly cares about creating a sustainable future through safe, responsible and meaningful low carbon energy projects. Our core values are guiding principles for everything we do.
Creating and maintaining a long term, continuously safe and healthy environment is our top priority.
We are a company of uncompromising integrity and business ethics.
We respect the law, support universal human rights, protect the environment and benefit the communities where we work.
As a renewable energy company, we are part of the climate change solution.
We adopt a ‘solutions’ driven mindset throughout our entire business in order to stay ahead of the game in an ever-changing global energy landscape.
What You’ll do
Based in São Paulo, the Grid Studies Engineer, is responsible essentially to (i) carry out initial internal power flow studies to understand the different alternatives of grid connection for the different projects under development or regions candidate origination, (ii) specify, hire, manage and approve more complex studies (short-circuit, electromagnetic transients, minimum global cost etc) under the grid permitting processes and (iii) interface with ONS, EPE and Distribution Companies, representing the owner, in the process of getting the issuance for informação/parecer de acesso for the different projects;
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Continuously scan the grid connection market in Brazil with a business intelligence approach, so as to provide regular insights to the Business Development team;
- Develop a network of external partners. Identification and qualification of suppliers for different types of services, fostering the creation of partnerships and recurring business. These services shall include but not be limited to: power flow, short-circuit, electromagnetic transients, minimum global cost, curtailment analysis etc;
- Active role in the strategy for origination of new projects by land prospection. Compile data about the evolution of the grid ~5 years ahead, develop preliminary grid capacity studies (power flow only) and short-list potential areas to explore from a grid connection perspective. This information will be used by the Business Development team to cross-check with other information such as solar yield and environmental restrictions coming from other departments, so as to define the strategy for land prospection;
- Active role in the evaluation of opportunities for project acquisition/sale. Under Due Diligence processes, evaluate/create datarooms with grid connection information and elaborate recommendation whether the opportunity is good or not from a grid perspective;
- Permitting process with grid authorities. Manage the grid processes, especially Informação and Parecer de Acesso, with the objective to have these permits issued in due time and with minimum operational restrictions included.
- Strong knowledge in CUST, TUST, MUST, EUST and other transmission system tariffs
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Master degree is a plus;
- Fluent English and Portuguese, spoken and written. Additional languages are a plus, especially Spanish.
- Extensive experience in grid connection studies for renewable energy, especially solar and wind power;
- Expertise in performing power flow studies with ANAREDE is essential. Additional expertise with ANAFAS, ANATEM and HARMZS is desirable;
- Strong existing network with ONS, EPE and consultants;
- Strong experience in specifying and hiring external suppliers for grid connection studies, including but not limited to power flow, short-circuit, electromagnetic transients etc;
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience;
- Experience in supporting multi-functional projects in an international work environment with remote locations;
- Strong contract experience and knowledge;
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft office tools;
- Willingness to travel up to 20%.
- Forward thinking, a problem solver and solution provider;
- Proactive, flexible with strong time management skills;
- Able to promote a positive working culture within the team;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
- Ability to deal confidently building strong relations with stakeholders.
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow; a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
Be you: We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Be responsible: Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Be recognized: Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension and other local benefits.
Be inspired: Beyond your day-to-day working life at Lightsource bp, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including our charitable causes, supporting our solar honey project or our net-zero by 2025 campaign.