Sr. Preconstruction Director, Energy Storage, Americas
21 days ago
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low-carbon energy. With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ in the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation, and making the world a better place.
We are looking for a Senior Preconstruction Director to lead our Battery Storage projects during the preconstruction phase.
- Support the origination and development of large BESS projects, including the evaluation of project feasibility, project design, and financial analysis.
- Identify key resource needs, risks, and mitigation strategies during the preconstruction phase.
- Develop RFPs, negotiate EPC contracts, and support the financial close of large BESS projects.
- Support the development of structured finance and legal strategies for large BESS projects.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance during the preconstruction phase, including supporting the design, engineering, estimating, and long lead procurement of BESS systems.
- Lead coordination of constructability evaluations and review of site conditions to ensure alignment between development designs and construction feasibility
- Review project bid documents; initiate and follow through with the design approach, lead strategy discussions, estimate generation, and lead proposal preparation between Business Development and Engineering teams
- Work with in-house electrical estimators, electrical and civil engineering teams to analyze and evaluate bid risks and strategies, present bid reviews to management
- Support the commissioning of BESS projects and SCADA / Controls integration, ensuring successful project completion and operation.
- Provide technical support and guidance for high voltage, substations, and switchyards as it relates to BESS.
- Evaluate and stay current on the best-in-class offerings from major BESS equipment suppliers.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related technical field required. Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Civil Engineering degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience, preferably managing large utility-scale solar projects (i.e., 100+MW)
- Experience managing large BESS projects, with a focus on the preconstruction phase.
- Strong project management skills, including experience managing new and existing substations, high voltage, switchyards, and BESS projects.
- Experience commissioning BESS projects and SCADA / Controls integration.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to lead a project team and coordinate with stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow, a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
- Our Core Values: Lightsource bp truly cares about creating a sustainable future through safe, responsible, and meaningful low-carbon energy projects. Our core values of Safety, Integrity, Respect, Sustainability, and Drive are the guiding principles for everything we do.
- Be a part of a rapidly expanding team in the solar energy industry.
- This role has ample room for career advancement within Lightsource BP, an international company.
- You will have the opportunity to work with a robust and supportive leader in a collaborative environment.
- US team members are entitled to medical benefits, life insurance, dental benefits, vision benefits and short- and long-term disability benefits. Lightsource bp pays for the first $800 of the monthly insurance premium. For staff members with dependents, Lightsource will cover 50% of the costs of covering dependents. The team member contributes the remainder of the premium, if any, through pre-tax payroll deduction.
- Lightsource bp offers US team members immediate eligibility for a 401(k) plan, with a 3% nonelective employer contribution.
- Our team members are eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, calculated based on corporate, team and individual objectives. Team members in the US may receive an additional 50% of their annual bonus in a “retention bank” as well, available for withdrawal after three years of bonus awards have accrued.
- Lightsource bp currently observes the following 11 holidays in the US: New Years Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- US team members accrue 20 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave annually. All team members are also eligible for COVID-19 leave.
- Team members in the US enjoy a hybrid work environment.
- US team members receive a monthly personal phone bill reimbursement of up to $100 and a monthly commuter benefit of up to $150. Team members also receive one-time wellness and remote work allowances
Lightsource bp is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.