About Lightsource BP
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy. With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
What You'll do
The VAT Analyst will be part of the ever-growing global Tax team and take responsibility for preparing and submitting Lightsource bp entities’ VAT returns and other indirect tax reports initially in Spain, with potential addition of further countries in the Southern European region (e.g. Portugal, Italy). The role will also include transactional reporting (SII), VAT reconciliation and assistance with the implementation of the new ERP system and other indirect tax software in the countries covered by the role.
The VAT Analyst, based in our Madrid Office, will work closely with the wider Tax and Finance teams and provide support to the Indirect Tax Manager in VAT audits, due diligence workstreams, new VAT registrations and VAT groupings in Spain (and potentially other countries of responsibility). The role reports to the Indirect Tax Manager based in London.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the Indirect Tax Manager in in-housing VAT compliance from the current external service provider;
- Extract and analyse VAT data, prepare and submit VAT returns and other related filings, such as EC Sales Listings and annual informative statements;
- Ensure funds are available and arrange VAT payments with Transactional team;
- Perform required reporting under SII in Spain (and other real time transactional reporting in potential additional countries);
- Perform month-end reconciliations of VAT accounts and required journal postings;
- Ensure compliance tracking tool is kept up-to-date;
- Ensure VAT records are maintained;
- Assist with the implementation of SAP and other indirect tax technology;
- Assist with VAT queries in relation to operations of the business in countries of responsibility;
- Support the Indirect Tax Manager with internal and external VAT audits;
- Support the Indirect Tax Manager with new VAT registrations and VAT groupings / de-groupings;
- Support the Indirect Tax Manager in monitoring changes to VAT legislation and identifying any resulting impact on the business
Who we're looking for
- 2-3 years’ experience in Spanish VAT compliance ideally in an in-house role working within a multi-national company
- Knowledge of Spanish and EU VAT (e.g. concept of reverse charge)
- Knowledge of SII reporting
- Experience of VAT accounting/reconciliations
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel
- Working experience in SAP beneficial but not essential
- Good command of English and Spanish - Knowledge of any other, particularly Southern European, languages would be an advantage
- Experience working unsupervised on day-to-day responsibilities
- Ability to work well under pressure on multiple priorities and towards tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, communication and numeracy skills
- Flexible approach in a fast-paced business which is constantly changing
- Self-motivated, pro-active and hardworking nature
- Positive, people led mindset and inclusive way of working
Why you'll want to work for us
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow, a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension and other local benefits.
Beyond your day-to-day working life at Lightsource bp, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including our charitable causes, supporting our solar honey project or out net-zero by 2025 campaign.