Power System Integration Manager
London, United Kingdom
30+ days ago
About Lightsource bp
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy.
With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalise on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
About the role
The candidate will be responsible for most technical aspects related to the MV/HV electrical engineering side of the PV power plants, from project development to design, construction and operation, in compliance with the following main responsibilities:
- Preparation of Technical design reports for Distribution sector (HV/LV up to 400kV)
- Preparation of HV Substation primary equipment design deliverables, feasibility studies, reports, programmes and cost estimating
- Working knowledge of Transmission and distribution system including equipment sizing, protect system (preferrable )
- Review the HV plant aspects of different projects including HV layouts, earthing design and reports, mechanical interlocking, HV busbar calculations and technical specification for the HV plant equipment.
- Ability to attend and chair the design review and Hazard review meetings and reviewing HV plant design packages as required.
- Attending site visits, FAT and SAT as required.
- Support the contractual negotiation with EPC regarding technical areas such as HV electrical engineering, equipment specifications, testing,
- Conduct PV plant electrical equipment technical review and specification including MW and HV substations, switchgears, cables, protection equipment and other MV/HV equipment.
- Conduct calculations and design review related with the HV electrical design of the PV plant, including equipment sizing and configuration, earthing system and electrical protection analysis.
- Support FEED team (Front End Engineering Design) to explore possibility of solar applications in New Markets (Example in Hydrogen market, off-grid applications, Battery, reactive mode applications et to develop solutions for connecting hybrid/storage generator or complex connections and incorporate them into the Grid)
- Understand and apply power systems knowledge to network level load/generation/reactive power / short circuit level curtailments. Able assess risks on HV connections, projects execution and advise engineering teams for solutions.
- Coordinate with Commercial, Project Development and Grid managers for developing new capacities (example Analyzing heat maps, interpreting TSO/DNO statements in current affairs, yearly statements etc.)
- transformers, generation substation and producer substation (MV) meet DNO/TSO and Employers requirements.
Knowledge / Experience
- Degree or relevant qualification in Electrical Engineering
- Experience working as a design engineer/manager for a DNO in EHV systems or HV/LV systems will be given high weightage
- Working knowledge of MV/HV equipment including switchgear, transformers, protections, underground/OH lines and other MV/HV equipment.
- Extensive in field experience of MV/HV deployment and associated good practice installation of such equipment
- Familiarity with commissioning tests for renewable installations.
- Experience in power systems for renewable installations, including HV substations and control.
- Detailed knowledge of reactive power compensation strategies.
- Experience in detail electrical system design using specialized calculation software such as Cymcap or similar
- Familiarity with PV industry and PV systems including inverters, transformers, cabling.
- Familiarity with electrical protections calculations and earthing design for MV and HV systems
- Familiarity with storage system technologies and strategies for renewable applications
- Degree or master’s degree in electrical / power engineering
- 5+ years of experience in substations design industry
- Fluent English spoken and written, B1 driving licence, Additional languages is a plus.
- International working experience or in projects globally
- Strong interest in renewable energy
- Proactive and being able to priorities workload,
- Autonomous, adaptable and multi-skilled
- Forward thinking, a problem solver and solution provider;
- Able to promote a positive working culture within the team;
- Strong organizational and good communication skills both verbal and written.
Why you’ll want to work for us
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow; a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension and other local benefits.
Beyond your day-to-day working life at Lightsource bp, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including our charitable causes or supporting our solar honey project.