Job Title: Head of Power Markets
Department: Power Markets EMEA
About Lightsource bp
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy.
With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalise on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
What You’ll do (the role)
This role will play a key role in developing and delivering the regional power market strategy for Europe which is a key geographical focus for our ambitious plan for growth.
A regional role with responsibility for identifying market opportunities and creative business models to maximize value creation opportunity for the development pipeline of solar and storage projects across Europe. Working closely with others in the Power Marekts team as well as the development teams in each country.
Leadership role responsible management of team members focused in the region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for developing and implementing the power marketing strategy, collaborating with the team, to secure the optimal balance of contracted and merchant revenues. Including management of long term PPA negotiation processes. You will bring enthusiasm, innovation, and expertise to supercharge the team.
- Understand developments in the European markets and energy policy and the impact these will have on power markets and flexibility opportunities including storage in order to keep Lightsource BP at the forefront of the market.
- Work with utilities, traders, and other market participants to develop strategic partnership and innovative routes to market to secure bankable revenue and optimization agreements to support solar as well as stand-alone and collocated storage project development.
- To be Lightsource bp’s champion and voice in the power markets including engaging with partners, industry bodies, policy makers and the market to support our activities.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, such as technical storage, finance, engineering, and construction across the broader organization to manage opportunities strategically.
- Collaborate with the Head of Strategic Partnerships to develop key relationships with strategic offtakers in the region.
- Close collaboration with the country heads in the region to help develop the strategy for pipeline growth understand in the offtake opportunity.
- Collaborate with structured finance in relation to divestment and funding strategy to align to market opportunities.
- Always be testing for opportunities to enhance value creation through innovation and offtake optimization.
Who we’re looking for
- Comprehensive knowledge of the European Power and Ancillary Services markets is a must along utility scale renewables experience ideally including energy storage.
- Multiyear experience of negotiating Power Purchase Agreements in the relevant markets.
- Successful track record of executing complex energy projects and/or transactions.
- Strong team management experience, good interpersonal, leadership and collaboration skills.
- Experience presenting at many levels including internal and external stakeholders and speaking at events.
- Deep experience in one or ideally more of the relevant power markets
- Origination and negotiation of long-term power purchase agreements
- Participation in renewable energy support auctions
- Power trading and risk management
- Leadership of diverse teams covering a broad region
Why you’ll make a great member of the team
- Highly motivated individual who leads by example and can flourished in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally in English and other European languages (preferred)
- Commercially driven, capable to leading complex negotiations
- Present yourself with integrity, credibility and professionalism
- Willing and able to travel across the Europe as required
- Creative thinker who can find solutions, adapt to market developments and find new ways of doing things to drive value and bring the team along
Why you’ll want to work for us
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow – a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension, and other local benefits.
Join an agile, international team working across 15 countries to power the future and positively impact people, communities, ecosystems and biodiversity across the world.
Our core values
Lightsource bp truly cares about creating a sustainable future through safe, responsible and meaningful low-carbon energy projects. Our core values of Safety, Integrity, Respect, Sustainability and Drive are the guiding principles for everything we do.