Job Title: Head of Grid – Northern Europe
About Lightsource bp
Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy. With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
What you will do (your role)
This role involves the autonomous management and coordination of diverse and growing teams across the full grid/generation plant lifecycle pipeline in the Grid Northern Europe Region (mainly UK, ROI, IRE and NDL). You will be required to work closely with the development, planning, construction and asset management teams, using high level communication and problem-solving skills to ensure the integration of the Grid related activities within the comprehensive stages of the projects. The main objective is ensuring the achievement of the objectives of each country in the assigned region are reached.
The position requires technical knowledge and managerial skills, as well as strategic planning thinking and the ability to form strong working relationships both within the grid teams and between other departments. Knowledge of the TSO/DNO/DSO/ICP´s and government agencies responsible for grid connections is essential to success in this role, as is the necessary expertise and drive to contribute to the rapid growth of our development and construction pipeline.
Coordination to align strategies and procedures so as to implement the transfer of knowledge between the countries of the Region and with the Heads of Grid of other regions will be key to continue to improve the performance of Grid department and the Company.
Duties and responsibilities
- Managing the Grid teams through coordination with the Grid Country Heads to ensure the work is completed on time and budget and the accomplishment of country/team objectives,
- Identify the best alternatives to define the main guidelines to support project development, taking into account the interconnection workflows and how they are related to the development process,
- Establish decision making processes for the Grid connection application for the different countries in the Region, aligning them with the company’s objectives,
- Sign off technical deliverables from own team according to the company’s processes,
- Coordinate with the different departments and country heads to standardize and locally adjust working procedures throughout the Region,
- Identify the KPIs that better define the performance of the Region, considering the changes in the strategy for each country and the associated objectives,
- Compile key data and KPIs to report to the EMEA Grid Head for strategic assessment and performance evaluation,
- Represent GRID and participate in the company's regulatory definitions and procedures.
- Align the general framework between the countries of the region for contracts involving engineering/studies/surveys/drawings which are necessary to start the design process of the Non-Contestable and Contestable Works with the TSO/DNO/DSO/ICP´s so as to secure/advance grid connections works (COD dates).
- In a proactive manner, facilitate through the Grid Country Heads the general advice given to development and project teams with technical, cost and scheduling assistance throughout the life of the project.
- Working closely with the Business Development team to progress and develop strategies for the pipeline growth.
- Define with the assessment of the Grid Country Head the general strategy for analysis of the TSO/DNO energy capacity study and regulations to support Lightsource bp in new project opportunities (in coordination with Grid Code & Regulatory team).
- Develop, strengthen and maintain contacts with key agencies involved in the development, construction, connection, and operation process such as TSO/DNO/DSO, ICP´s and governmental agencies in all aspects related to the grid connection offer T&Cs and the implantation of the grid connection facilities.
- Understanding of market behaviour in the Region, including grid development plans and congestion analysis
- Assess and identify the general grid risks for the Region,
- Represent Grid Department at relevant Country Development Meetings and Delivery Meetings as required by Lightsource bp.
- Work closely with Flexibility team in framework aspects related to electricity market services (ancillary services, balancing, constraints, auctions...).
- Attend Lightsource bp sites and third-party premises as required.
- Support Head of Grid EMEA into define internal strategy and global procedures.
- Present reports periodically to appropriate management / governance team.
- Represent the company at the industry/government level to influence grid policies positively
Who we’re looking for
- Understanding of the grid connection process, grid application process, grid compliance process, grid commissioning process and grid offer negotiations across key jurisdictions.
- Understanding of transmission system improvement plans from key jurisdictions across the Region.
- Understanding of market operations and behaviour in the Region from a commercial and trading perspective.
- Solid background on grid code and grid connection regulatory compliance.
- Solid background on storage regulatory aspects and connection.
Attained an education, ideally a degree in Power System Electrical Engineering but other relative qualifications and supporting working experience would be considered.
- Skilled in Energy, Power Systems, Power Transmission, Project Management, Control Engineer, Account& Contract Management, Substations Design, Renewable Energy, Storage and Smart Grid.
- Proven track record & experienced in a similar role for minimum of 5 years (desirable 8+).
- HV Engineer, Protection & Control Systems, RTU/SCADA Controls, Power Transformer, Cabling, Testing & Commissioning, Grid Connections, Contestable Works, Cable System Design, DNO Design.
What do we offer and why you will want to work for us
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow - a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, health insurance and other local benefits.
Beyond your day-to-day working life at Lightsource bp, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including our charitable causes, supporting our solar honey project or our sustainability initiatives.
Our Core Values
Lightsource bp truly cares about creating a sustainable future through safe, responsible and meaningful low carbon energy projects. Our core values of Safety, Integrity, Respect, Sustainability and Drive are the guiding principles for everything we do.