Asia-Oceania Advocacy Campaigner (Remote)
Laudato Si' Movement
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
Laudato Si’ Movement (LSM) is an international network of 900 Catholic organizations and thousands of grassroots leaders, all working together to care for our common home and advance climate and ecological justice. We strive to be led by the Holy Spirit, and we find joy and support in our faith and in each other. We act at the forefront of faith-based efforts to protect the environment, and our work is very fast-paced, with multiple projects and priorities managed daily. We enjoy a collaborative working environment in which everyone is committed to tackling the planetary crisis with courage and love. We believe as Pope Francis said in Laudato Si’, that “truly, much can be done!”
About this position.
This position will be critical for the https://laudatosimovement.org/advocacy/ implementation and capacity building in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). In addition, our LSM Advocacy Team addresses the integral ecology crisis manifested in climate change and biodiversity collapse; the leading global challenge pointed out by Pope Francis in his encyclical Laudato Si.
Accordingly, our LSM Advocacy initiatives consist of (1) https://laudatosimovement.org/news/catholic-argument-for-fossil-fuel-divestment/ (2) Supporting the https://laudatosimovement.org/ffnpt/, and (3) https://laudatosimovement.org/biodiversity-and-climate-change/. Inserted in the LSM Advocacy Team, this position develops campaigning in Asia and Oceania countries of the Global South to launch and socialize the Catholic narrative for climate and biodiversity justice, engaging Catholic communities and social organizations in advocacy actions. To build on successes to date and, importantly, to respond to the https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/503542-vatican-calls-on-catholics-to-divest-from-fossil-fuels and endorsement of the https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vatican-environment-idUSKBN23P1HI by the Vatican Dicastery of Human Development, LSM plans to bring broader zero fossil fuel campaigning and divestment to the next level in the Asia and Oceania Region.
We aim to create visible engagement among Catholic communities to build a justice narrative linking divestment from fossil fuels and fossil fuel non-proliferation treaty and prevent further biodiversity collapse. The growing narrative among citizens can bring moral persuasion on national governments to persuade them to take concrete solutions for the real problems related to the climate and biodiversity crises.
This position report to LSM’s Advocacy Director and will work closely with the Asia Pacific Program Manager.
- Work in sync with the Asia Pacific Regional team on LSM by working closely with the Asia Pacific Program Manager to support ongoing advocacy programs with national LSM volunteer structures to implement the required level of LSM Advocacy initiatives.
- Lead LSM core advocacy initiatives in a target country(-ies) in the case of the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation treaty uptake by the Catholic Church.
- Plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate high-quality climate change and biodiversity loss initiative outcomes in accordance with LSM’s advocacy strategy.
- Support in building the advocacy-committed working group to achieve core advocacy initiatives goals.
- Effectively communicate and facilitate a dialogue between LSM national members and government authorities to achieve campaign objectives.
- Support the development and roll-out of valuable toolkits and training for every LSM Advocacy initiative and deliver training and webinars for local volunteers and broader Catholic and secular audiences. In addition, in collaboration with the Asia Pacific Program Manager, organize LSM Advocacy initiatives, meetings, events, and actions to achieve campaign objectives.
- Work with the LSM and global initiatives Partners (such as the Fossil Fuels Non-Proliferation Treaty) Communications teams to deliver high-quality materials to support the initiatives.
- Work with LSM advocacy team members and Advocacy Director to ensure the advocacy initiatives are implemented in line with LSM advocacy strategy.
- Public speaking and media work.
Skills and Characteristics
- Endorses and embodies https://docs.google.com/document/d/15YLzdYbbKwWY1jcG9oeD9iTuuC6v_L3HSAKWhjhYYlc/edit?usp=sharing and the Laudato Si paradigm in behavior and words; comfortable supporting and working in a faith-based environment.
- Strong experience campaigning against fossil fuels and strategic communications with governments, officials, and national authorities.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in campaigning on climate change.
- Excellent understanding of the context and concepts of the divestment from fossil fuels, expansion of fossil fuels, phasing out fossil fuels, and just transition as well as biodiversity loss.
- Networking and existing contacts with national Catholic stakeholders in the Asia-Oceania region.
- Experience in movement building.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to draft campaign materials
- Based in any country in the Asia Pacific region.
- A good understanding of the Church and the Papal Encyclical Laudato Si.
- Experience in campaigning for faith-based organizations.
- Experience in developing campaigns.
- Training and facilitation experience.
- Experience developing and maintaining work relationships and implementing strategies remotely.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Countries inside the Asia-Oceania Region
Work environment: This position will work remotely
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: Rolling until hired
Job Type: Full-time