Zero Fossil Fuels Campaign Manager (Remote)
Laudato Si' Movement
22 days ago
Laudato Si Movement’s mission is to inspire and mobilize the Catholic community to care for our common home and achieve climate and ecological justice. We are an international network of 850 member organizations and thousands of Laudato Si’ Animators, all working together to bring Laudato Si' to life. We seek to be led by the Holy Spirit, and we find joy and support in our faith and each other. We act at the forefront of faith-based efforts to protect our common home, and our work is very fast-paced, with multiple projects and priorities managed daily. We enjoy a collaborative working environment in which everyone is committed to tackling the climate and biodiversity crises with courage and love. We believe as Pope Francis said in Laudato Si’, that “truly, much can be done!”
About the position
LSM launched the global Catholic divestment campaign in 2016. LSM’s campaign has provided information, tools, and networking, organizing on and offline events and activities to grow the Catholic contribution to the global fossil fuel divestment movement. In the past 4 years more than 200 Catholic institutions have committed to divestment, making a strong contribution to reframing the global debate around the morality of fossil fuels. LSM maintains strong relationships with key Catholic, ecumenical and secular partners to enable and promote joint global faith divestment announcements.
To build on successes to date, and importantly, to respond to the significant leadership of Pope Francis on fossil fuels. LSM plans to bring Catholic divestment and broader fossil fuel campaigning to the next level and is recruiting a Campaign Manager to lead the implementation.
The Campaign Manager will work closely with the Director of Advocacy to implement the global strategy and will support regional and national teams in the development and implementation of regional and national campaigns.
Core duties will include:
- Deliver on the vision for a combined top-down, bottom-up global strategy for a Catholic campaign to end fossil fuels.
- Support the endorsement of the Fossil Fuel Non Proliferation Treaty (FFNPT) by Catholics.
- Contribute to strategy development of the zero fossil fuel campaign.
- Project manage regional campaigners in delivering regional campaigns to stop the expansion of the fossil fuel industry.
- Support regional campaigners to work with national LSM volunteer structures to develop and implement regional, national, and local campaigns including divestment campaigns and campaigns on fossil fuel policies, projects, and investments (ranging from pipelines and coal mines to banks and insurance companies and beyond).
- Support the development and roll out of campaigner toolkits and training.
- Plan and deliver global activities to achieve the campaign, including global divestment announcements and FFNPT activities.
- Management of relationships with key Catholic, ecumenical, faith and secular allies in relation to fossil fuel divestment and broader campaigns
- Work with the Communications team to deliver high quality materials to support the campaign
- Work with the Director of Advocacy to ensure the Campaign is aligned with and integrated into all relevant LSM programmes, and with regional directors to ensure advocacy strategies are closely tied to movement development work.
- Public speaking and media work.
- Maintain a watching brief of Church developments on fossil fuels.
Skills and Characteristics:
- 4 - 6 years of experience in a campaigning role, preferably climate and/or energy-related issues.
- A sound understanding of the state of climate science and imperatives related to ending fossil fuel exploration and expansion.
- At least 3 years leading campaigning against fossil fuels (divestment, fossil fuel projects or policies).
- Experience working with grassroots campaigners.
- At least 3 years of experience managing or mentoring campaigners within a project team.
- Experience working with faith-based actors.
- Experience developing campaigner tools.
- Training experience.
- Experience developing and maintaining work relationships and implementing strategies remotely.
- A good understanding of the Church and the papal encyclical Laudato Si.
- English is essential.
- Fluency in other languages as Spanish, Portuguese or French is desirable.
Location: Open to all applicants worldwide
Type: Full-time position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Work environment: Remote
To apply: Please, visit https://bit.ly/ZFFCampaign_Manager_LSM
Then, submit a résumé and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position.
Deadline for application: 15 June 2022
Job Type: Full-time