Senior Strategic Communications Specialist
Washington, DC, United States
19 days ago
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster looms large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
Greenpeace, USA is searching for an experienced Senior Strategic Communications Specialist to help us tell Greenpeace powerful stories and change the world. Greenpeace is an international environmental organization that uses a proactive and creative approach to external communications and media relations. We are looking for team members who want to use the full range of their experience and skills to phase out fossil fuels, promote justice, and create a green and peaceful future.
The right candidate will have a proven track record of designing and delivering high impact, people-centered communications strategies and exceptional project management skills. Experience running successful corporate campaigns, particularly targeting technology or financial corporations, is a plus.
A successful Senior Strategic Communications Specialist will be adept at implementing a long-term strategy while responding to real world events and opportunities to achieve objectives. They develop proactive communications with an eye toward public engagement at all levels to empower people and reach diverse audiences. They will be a strategic partner to program leadership as well as colleagues in fundraising.
This is a full time, exempt position based in any authorized Greenpeace state: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MD, ME, NC, NV, NY, OR, VA, WA, and will report to the Chief Communications Director.
The Senior Strategic Communications Specialist will:
Develop, coordinate, and implement external communications to get Greenpeace's campaign messages and overall mission to key targeted audiences.
- Build overarching, integrated strategic communications plans for campaigns, identifying key audiences and how to best reach them.
- Respond quickly, succinctly, and creatively to breaking news.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters, television producers, and other news decision-makers in the United States.
- Contribute to action development, development of online assets, and campaign strategy.
- Design creative communications tactics to meet strategic needs.
- Produce written materials including press releases, press advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, etc.
- Identify, brief and train Greenpeace employees to act as spokespeople. Participate in the planning meetings of Greenpeace project teams and provide ongoing advice about media aspects of the campaign.
- Facilitate the needs of media requests including background materials, appropriate spokespeople, etc.
- Coordinate media events such as press conferences. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work with outside vendor, consultants and contractors
- Develop regional, national and international communication and media strategies, including the development of key messages for Greenpeace campaign projects.
- Manage the creative production process with internal staff or creative agencies for relevant materials, when needed..
- Manage the health of various online social communities through message guidance and output management. Work with the social media team to plan and implement weekly social media output, as well as community management.
- Oversee the monitoring and analysis of media coverage relevant to Greenpeace's campaigns and overall mission.
- Coordinate and communicate media strategies with Greenpeace International, contributing to international strategy when possible.
- Lead communications strategy for a crisis response situation, including initiating the response.
- Lead other teams in the implementation of Greenpeace's strategic direction and communication design across multiple platforms, including visuals, traditional media, digital technologies, and creative confrontation.
- Lead projects in the formulation and execution of Greenpeace's strategic direction and communication design across multiple platforms, including visuals, traditional media, digital technologies, and creative confrontation.
- Work directly with the Tier 1 Strategic Communications Specialist to develop his/her skills and integration into the media team.
Minimum requirements for the Senior Strategic Communications Specialist include:
- University degree or comparable communications experience.
- At least 4-5 years experience working in a media outlet, PR firm, or working in the media department of an NGO.
- Sound news judgment and solid U.S. contacts in both news and feature media.
- Broadcast experience a must.
- Experience pitching reporters, editors, and producers on a variety of types of stories.
- Spanish language skills strongly preferred.
- Experience working on climate change or other progressive issues is preferred.
- Basic understanding of the main social media platforms and blogging is a must. An interest in podcasting and other emerging broadcast mediums would be a bonus.
Additional include, but are not limited to:
- Fluency in written and spoken English, and another language desirable (especially Spanish).
- Ability to handle numerous tasks at one time and to work in stressful situations.
- Ability to write quickly, creatively, and efficiently on deadline.
- Ability to work effectively within a team of strong-willed and independent thinkers.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally with little notice.
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
COVID - 19 Notice:
As of Q1 2022, most Greenpeace employees are working from home due to COVID-19. In accordance with Greenpeace values to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, supporters, and the community at large from COVID-19.
Current and future employees in need of an exemption from this policy for medical reasons, or because of sincerely held religious beliefs may request exemption. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Greenpeace undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Salary for this position starts at $78,000 and is commensurate with experience.