Senior Internal Communications Specialist
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities, safeguarding our independence and ability to speak the truth and act boldly. We recognize the importance of the moment: Ours is the first generation to experience the impacts of climate change and ecosystem destruction, and the last generation with a window of time to do something about it.
Greenpeace is known for its creative communications and non violent direct action - and for the people behind them. As part of our People & Culture team, you're charged with supporting and developing our staff as they work toward a green and peaceful future.
Reporting to the Director of People & Culture, the Senior Internal Communications Specialist will support the development and implementation of engaging internal communications strategies and external employer branding campaigns. You will design communications strategies that inspire our team to think, act, and lead in new ways.
This role will be a great fit if you are an experienced communications professional with a strong work ethic and a passion for using storytelling to foster a highly engaged, informed and inspired team. You are a positive and thoughtful self-starter that can take initiative and adapt to evolving circumstances. You have a great attention to detail, and you can think strategically about the big picture and how to communicate it to a variety of internal and external audiences.
You do not feel that any job is too small for you. You thrive under pressure and are comfortable simultaneously managing multiple priorities and projects in a fast paced, deadline driven environment. You are able to self manage and proactively communicate priorities. You have strong writing, speaking and editing skills and you have experience using a variety of tools and platforms to meet the communication needs of diverse communities.
This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position based in Washington, DC, Oakland, CA or New York, NY.
The Senior Internal Communications Specialist will:
- Produce strategically aligned, high impact executive and employee communications, internal communication and employer branding communication. Examples of work products include all staff emails, Board reports, newsletters, blogs, vlogs, meeting agendas, talking points, FAQs and presentations, strategy and work planning documents, memos, and reports
- Work with internal teams to develop tailored stakeholder communications plans and content
- Provide both strategic and tactical communications support. Specifically, the work of the Internal Communications Specialist may include but is not limited to developing communications project plans for the rollout of change initiatives, developing leadership messaging and talking points, preparing executives for public speaking events, reviewing and refining the messaging strategy for our talent acquisition related platforms, developing communications best practices, tools, and templates for staff an teams, delivering end-to-end communications for new programs and initiatives, from naming and branding to the launch strategy, and providing counsel on intranet site information architecture and design.
- Establish an internal communications strategy in partnership with senior leadership
- Plan, produce, write, and edit content for a variety of internal communications channels, often from concept to finished product
- Remain responsive to staff input about the effectiveness of internal communications efforts
- Close collaboration with Communications team to ensure that internal messages are consistent with external communications
- Keep abreast of new trends and innovations in internal communications and employer branding, bringing fresh insights into the organization
- Support and advise the leadership team on internal communication matters as needed
- Perform audience research to inform ways in which creative and media can connect with audiences both internally and externally
- Deep understanding of how audiences connect with brands through media and technology and how the proper partner, content, and sequencing can tell a holistic story
Minimum Requirements of the Internal Communications Specialist include:
- At least 5+ years experience working in a communications or marketing role with a minimum of 2 years working directly in internal communications
- Experience turning information into engaging, timely, and valuable content for employee audiences
- Experience identifying communication issues and solving problems using judgement and analysis, providing communication guidance and support
- A thorough understanding of the communications channel mix with experience of designing and implementing internal communications strategies and plans.
- Experience working directly with Executives
Additional qualifications for the Senior Internal Communications Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Experience using Intranet Content Management Systems (CMS)
- An interest in podcasting and other emerging broadcast mediums would be a bonus
- Can thoughtfully navigate issues related to equity, and social justice and brings a deep commitment to advancing these values
- Strong technical, creative writing and communication skills
- Experience working with LinkedIn and other social media platforms
- Fluency in written and spoken English, and another language desirable (especially Spanish).
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and working autonomously
- Ability to write quickly, creatively, and efficiently on deadline
- Ability to work effectively within a team of strong-willed and independent thinkers
- Commitment to progressive values and peaceful direct action as a means to effect change
- Ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Expertise in drawing meaningful insights from data to tell stories
- Able to identify and track success metrics (Data and impact orientation)
- Courage to truth-tell in ways that advance vision and strategy and build healthy workplace culture
- The ability to work independently, as needed, and be comfortable with ambiguity
- Curiosity and passion for learning, and is eager to engage in new tools, content and perspectives
- Strong understanding of key office platforms used regularly across Greenpeace: Google docs, Sheets, Slides, etc., Slack, Asana
If you are ready to jump into the fight to slow climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 6% 401K matching. New staff members receive 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, 2 personal days in their first year. Additionally we are closed Christmas Eve through New Year's day.
After 1 year of service staff members are eligible to receive 20 weeks of fully paid parental leave and after five years, staff are eligible for a 12 week paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Salary for this position starts at $78,000 and is commensurate with experience.
COVID - 19:
- As of Q1 2022, most Greenpeace employees are working from home due to COVID-19. In accordance with Greenpeace values to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, supporters, and the community at large from COVID-19.
Current and future employees in need of an exemption from this policy for medical reasons, or because of sincerely held religious beliefs may request exemption. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Greenpeace undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.