Digital Content Specialist
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
Do you love the idea of working with collaborative teams to drive real world change every day? Do you love crafting stories with digital media that inspire people to take action and solve some of our world's biggest problems like climate change? Then this might be the job for you.
We are seeking an ambitious and energetic Digital Content Specialist who will develop and implement creative content strategies across digital channels. The ideal candidate will be a content generalist who is great at creating graphic and video content for social media or writing for email and SMS campaigning. An amazing candidate will be great at both.
Our social, email, and SMS programs – reaching millions of people – are the foundation of our work to challenge the status quo and turn audiences into movements. There's extraordinary opportunity for growth and innovation, and the ideal candidate will be someone excited to jump in with both feet, try new things, and work with their teammates to create new models of growth and engagement. The Digital Content Specialist will report to the Senior Online Campaigns Manager.
The person in this role will operate across compelling projects with global and local focus. They'll be able to implement strategies to connect to different audiences. They'll work closely with our online team members, media, fundraising, actions, and project teams to tell bold stories that can change the world in the spirit of Greenpeace's strong brand. They might spend the morning repurposing the newest social media trend to call for climate justice and the afternoon writing an email blast to stop new oil drilling. They will always be a champion for stories that build and mobilize movements.
This is a remote position in an authorized Greenpeace state: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MD, ME, NC, NV, NY, OR, VA, WA.
The Digital Content Specialist will:
- Designing and creating engaging written, graphic, and audio-visual content for Greenpeace's social media channels, website, email, and sms programs with a focus on mobilizing existing AND new audiences for climate action.
- Using data-driven approaches to content creation. Listening to audiences, jumping on social media and cultural trends, iterating storytelling tactics that are working and could work better, and taking risks with creative experimentation.
- Using data-driven approaches to create new engagement opportunities like petitions or social media tactics that empower our audiences to build the movement and pressure decision-makers.
- Creating reports and insights for the online and other teams on content performance.
- Supporting and developing processes and trainings that build up narrative, engagement, and content creation skill sets across teams and the entire organization.
- Managing and coordinating posting on social channels from staff across the organization.
- Other special content creation as needed, including covering live events on occasion.
- Supporting digital strategy development for priority campaigns.
- Writing/creating web, email, and SMS content for advocacy and fundraising projects.
- Working within news and pop-culture cycles and occasionally adjusting work hours for events.
The Minimum Requirements for the Digital Content Specialist include:
Successful applicants must possess these qualifications:
- 2-3 years experience creating digital content, including content for major social media channels like Instagram, Twitter and other platforms for a brand or nonprofit organization
- Commitment to Greenpeace's mission and non-violent direct-action as a means of affecting change
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly, maintain focus, and hit goals in a fast-paced, ever changing campaign environment
- Ability to write impactful and engaging campaign messaging that resonates with our membership
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, geographically distributed team
- Excellent copywriting and editing are essential skills for the position.
- Preference for applicants with experience with graphic design and/or audio-video production familiarity with programs such as: Photoshop, Canva, or Illustrator, and or with social platforms like Tik-Tok and Instagram.
- Strong equity analysis and demonstrated understanding of, commitment to, and prioritization of racial justice, social justice, and accessibility, as well as experience working effectively with different constituencies.
Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
- As of Q1 2022, most Greenpeace employees are working from home due to COVID-19. In accordance with Greenpeace values to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, supporters, and the community at large from COVID-19.
Current and future employees in need of an exemption from this policy for medical reasons, or because of sincerely held religious beliefs may request exemption. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Greenpeace undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pretax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 6% 401K matching. New staff members receive 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, 2 personal days in their first year. Additionally we are closed Christmas Eve through New Year's Day.
After 1 year of service staff members receive 20 weeks of fully paid parental leave and after five years, staff are eligible for a 12 week paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Salary for this position starts at $60,000 and is commensurate with experience.