Distributed Organizing Specialist
30+ days ago
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future.
We are at a critical crossroads: We need to rebuild — President Biden and Congress have the choice to double down on the dirty, polluting, exploitative economy of the past or building the green & just economy of the future. With less than a decade left to prevent the worst impacts of the climate crisis, Joe Biden must take action at the scale science and justice demands.
The Distributed Organizing Specialist will help us lift off and develop our local organizing infrastructure that will allow volunteers to organize in their own communities, learn core skills, and build relationships that keep them involved in this work for the long haul. This role will play a key role in our shift from a mobilization team to a distributed organizing team.
This role is for somebody who is passionate about strengthening and diversifying the environmental movement and sees people power built through distributed organizing and on-the-ground action as the way to win big change.
This is a full time, exempt position based in any authorized Greenpeace state: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MD, ME, NC, NV, NY, OR, VA, WA. This position will report to the Distributed Organizing Manager.
The Distributed Organizing Specialist will:
- Lead Distributed Organizing volunteer teams and craft a long-term strategy that builds volunteer leadership structures and allows us to scale
- Support Distributed Organizing teams tracking and reporting and lead the development and onboarding of new tools
- Build, manage, and grow teams of volunteers that meet online and take action in their own communities across the country.
- Design and facilitate trainings for groups ranging from 10-200 volunteers in organizing skills, as well as to strengthen their equity, justice, and inclusion lens
- Consult and work alongside project managers to ensure that we have an effective volunteer structure where volunteers are coaching and supporting other volunteers
- Connect with recruitment for our remote volunteer communities by using Greenpeace’s digital channels and training teams of recruiters. Develop supporter recruitment and retention plans and build out well-crafted, effective content including email copy, peer to peer scripts, toolkits, and training materials.
- Move supporters and volunteers up the engagement ladder through online and offline development. Identify volunteers with leadership potential, build relationships with them, and move them into leadership roles on our volunteer teams
- Be flexible and responsive in projects -- pivot and support programs as needed in order to meet the stated goals.
- Use online tools such as SMS, peer-to-peer texting, email, CRM’s, Airtable, Mobilize, etc. to mobilize Greenpeace supporters around our campaigns.
- Flexible working hours including evenings required.
The Minimum Requirements for the Distributed Organizing Specialist include:
- 3-5+ years of organizing experience and 2-3+ years (or 1-2 electoral cycles) of specific experience in distributed organizing
- 2-3+ years in volunteer, electoral, or evaluative data management
- A demonstrated ability to manage projects that bring in thousands of volunteers, and plug them into long-term organizing structures.
- Highly organized with strong bias towards motivating and managing remote volunteers and multiple complex volunteer engagement systems
- Experience project managing staff in executing distributed organizing work.
- Exceptional writing skills for advocacy and organizing.
- Experience with digital and data tools -- Slack, Google Drive, Zoom Webinars, EveryAction or other CRMs, and Mobilize or other distributed action tools.
- Demonstrated commitment and skills for building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive movement.
- Comfort with and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced campaigning environment, including juggling multiple priorities.
- A driving passion to secure a sustainable, healthy and just future for all.
If you want to join the fight against climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
COVID - 19:
*As of Q1 2022, most Greenpeace employees are working from home due to COVID-19. In accordance with Greenpeace values to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, supporters, and the community at large from COVID-19.
Current and future employees in need of an exemption from this policy for medical reasons, or because of sincerely held religious beliefs may request exemption. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Greenpeace undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pretax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 6% 401K matching. New staff members receive 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, 2 personal days in their first year. Additionally we are closed Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day.
After 1 year of service staff members receive 20 weeks of fully paid parental leave and after five years, staff are eligible for a 12 week paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Salary for this position starts at $60,000 and is commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $60,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote