Senior Clean Technology Research Specialist
Oakland, CA, United States
14 days ago
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster looms large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
As part of the GPUS Research and Investigations Unit, the Senior Clean Technology Research Specialist will be responsible for developing original research to help Greenpeace win campaigns for a more just and peaceful future.
The Senior Clean Tech Research Specialist will report to and work with the Research Director to advance research and investigations to support GPUS’s campaigns. The Senior Research Specialist will also be assigned tasks by the clean technology Project Team Leader. They will work with campaign staff to develop the factual basis for the campaign strategy, messaging, and outputs, and to design strategies to communicate GPUS positions and unleash the activist energy of our supporters.
The Senior Clean Tech Research Specialist will identify opportunities to deploy both field and desktop investigations using a variety of tools and techniques. They will be expected to move between topics and campaigns as needed, at times managing multiple projects simultaneously. They will need to build relationships internally with various departments, and manage external relationships with contractors, collaborators in other organizations, and members of the media. They will play an active role implementing campaign plans, partnering with allies and engaging directly with stakeholders and supporters.
This is a full time, exempt position based in Washington, DC or Oakland, CA.
The Senior Research Specialist will:
In conjunction with the Research Director and the Project Lead of the Clean Technology campaign, identify and execute research needs and opportunities for Greenpeace campaigns and media response. In different moments, this position can involve a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Proactively work with Campaigns, Media and Communications Teams to identify research needs and opportunities that help drive Greenpeace’s campaigns forward.
- Work with Program staff to set strategic direction and priorities for Greenpeace campaigns.
- Help prioritize and execute the objectives and work plan of the Research Unit.
- Initiate, develop and carry out short and long term investigations, using a variety of tools and techniques, potentially including: markets research, corporate research, opposition research, open source investigations, chain of custody, scientific research, mapping and GIS, sampling and analysis, data analysis, analysis of public information, political and policy research, and other research as needed.
- Oversee project management for the writing, editing, layout, production, and publication of reports, policy briefings, and smaller research outputs.
- Effectively communicate research findings to supporters, the media and the public via blogs, research briefings, and through social media.
- Compose, send and follow up on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and other public records requests.
- Maintain expertise with a variety of organizational research tools; research and test new software tools.
- Work with Campaigns, Comms and Online staff to develop talking points and approved facts for public communications.
- Develop quick response information, statistics and analysis as needed for reaction to daily campaign needs, media response and other priorities as they arise.
- Respond to media requests and serve as campaign spokesperson when required.
- Work with the Legal Team to fact check public-facing materials.
- Work with Online and Development Teams to review, fact-check, and approve. communications to supporters such as action alerts and fundraising appeals.
- Manage research project budgets and contracts with external parties.
- Conduct research trainings and presentations to internal and external audiences on the work of Greenpeace Research Unit.
- Participate in policy development groups with coalition allies.
- Represent Greenpeace at public events. Maintain a professional decorum with brand stewardship in mind. Make decisions that have organizational impact, often on the fly or in the field.
The Minimum Requirements for the Senior Research Specialist include:
First and foremost, a successful Senior Research Specialist will have the curiosity and tenacity to uncover relevant new information and the strategic instincts to use that information to hold the powerful to account and to support campaigns for social change.
- Graduate degree, specialized education and/or experience in science, environmental policy or other applicable fields desirable. Other demonstrated experience doing activist or public-interest research, investigations or journalism will also be considered.
- Working knowledge of environmental issues required to a level needed to communicate credibly with external parties including media.
- Strong research and analytical skills. Strong computer skills, including experience with modern data analysis tools (python, GIS, etc), a plus.
- Strong writing and project management skills sufficient to be the sole or lead author on long reports, to manage editing, peer review, layout and design, and public release strategy to see the project through to completion.
- Strong project management skills to be able to develop a research idea and muster support within the team among campaigners, comms and online staff, in order to turn the concept into an actionable campaign moment.
- Ability to proactively identify and triage research opportunities and requests from and with campaigns staff, media team and other parties within Greenpeace.
- Ability to manage multiple relationships on a regular basis with entities outside Greenpeace effectively and professionally.
- Ability to handle relationships with reporters and news outlets using our research.
- Understanding of Greenpeace campaigns and non-violent direct action.
- Good strategic instincts for what research will be useful for advancing campaigns.
Experience / Accomplishments:
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience at an environmental organization, environmental consultant or corporation within the environmental field. Consideration given to years of experience with non-profit advocacy, activist or frontline organizations in another field using research as a tool in campaigns.
- Proven experience directing research projects from conception to completion and effective communication of research results
- Demonstrated ability to effectively conduct research required for use within campaign planning processes, ongoing campaigns and for use with media.
- Commitment to progressive values and peaceful direct action as a means to affect change.
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
COVID - 19 Notice:
As of Q1 2022, most Greenpeace employees are working from home due to COVID-19. In accordance with Greenpeace values to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, supporters, and the community at large from COVID-19.
Current and future employees in need of an exemption from this policy for medical reasons, or because of sincerely held religious beliefs may request exemption. Accommodations will be granted where they do not cause Greenpeace undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Salary for this position starts at $70,000 and is commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Multiple Locations