Climate and Energy Campaigner
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
13 days ago
The campaigner will serve as the Greenpeace representative on climate change and energy issues based in Malaysia and work towards the delivery of Greenpeace
Southeast Asia (GPSEA) and Greenpeace Malaysia’s (GPMY) Theory of Change, goals and objectives.
The campaigner will primarily work on climate change and energy issues in the country and shall be based in the Kuala Lumpur office. The campaigner will also work in other countries within the region as required and in certain situations determined by external events and upon the recommendation of the Senior Programme Manager, the campaigner will be expected to move between research projects, issues and campaigns as needed.
This is a one year fixed term position based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Note that all
Programme Department staff are deployable to any GPSEA project.
This position requires the employee to have a flexible approach and the ability to adapt and work in different and challenging work and cultural environments, which may include flexible arrangements working in challenging field and frontline work environments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To develop and implement climate and energy campaign projects in line with
GPSEA’s 3 Year Strategic Plan and Greenpeace Malaysia’s Annual Plan taking into account global campaign priorities.
- Lead the implementation of climate and energy campaign strategies and tactics.
- Assist the Malaysia Senior Programme Manager in the development and implementation of the Malaysia Country Programme.
- Actively participate in campaign discussion and planning within GPSEA, with other Greenpeace offices and Greenpeace International (GPI). This will include both written and verbal discussions as well as attendance at specific meetings.
- Maintain working knowledge of technical information related to climate change and energy and be able to present the information to a wide variety of audiences within and outside Malaysia.
- Develop or assist in the development and implementation of country and project communication, digital and mobilization strategies.
- Participate in regular progress reviews and evaluations of Climate and Energy campaign-related projects and activities.
- Coordinate information flow within the campaign to other departments, and with relevant Greenpeace International units and NROs.
- Work with Public Engagement Team to organize and oversee the work of campaign volunteers, interns and short-term contractors when directed.
- Act as spokesperson for the Climate and Energy campaign of GP Malaysia.
- Work with external parties to conduct scoping research to compile, synthesize and document background information and cases that describe the key players, opportunities, issues, challenges and broken system of RE, in particular, solar energy development in Malaysia within the given timeline.
- Engage in critical national and regional political and other fora relevant to the campaign.
- Build alliances and/or support relationships with relevant affected groups, grassroots organizations, academic and professional groups, labour, NGOs and others in the country and in the region as identified in strategic planning.
- Develop pro-active relationships with national and regional media to increase campaign outreach.
- Represent Greenpeace and the campaign at relevant national and regional public events, activist meetings/groups, and gatherings of political decision makers, local citizens and other affected communities.
- Direct, organise and participate in non-violent direct actions to support and advance campaign goals.
- Keep the Senior Programme Manager informed of activities in the campaign
(including preparation of monthly reports and monthly work plans) and recommend changes in tactics, or strategies if necessary.
- Respond in a timely manner to and engage in internal as well as pressing external country and regional challenges.
- Maintain a working knowledge of political, legislature, regulatory and economic frameworks relevant to the campaign.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree of Sciences or an equivalent experience working on environmental/climate change and energy issues
- At least 2 years of work experience in advocacy work
- Professionalism: Knowledge and/or experience in managing conduct and emotions in a way that represents the values and realizes the objectives of the organization.
- Strategic Perspective and Mindset: Knowledge and/or experience in addressing organizational objectives by developing calculated approaches that integrate an openness to and awareness of diversity across cultures.
- Teamwork and Communication: Knowledge and/or experience in working with others and presenting information, ideas, and positions in a clear manner that can easily be understood across diverse and multicultural audiences.
- Innovation and Change: Knowledge and/or experience in addressing organizational objectives by developing calculated approaches that integrate an openness to and awareness of diversity across cultures.
- Experience on environmental and social impacts of climate change and the science behind it
- Experience in project management tools and methodologies, risk assessment, project budget managements, monitoring and reporting.
- Experience in environmental activism.
- Experience in lobbying to influence targeted people of power.
- Experience in planning and conducting primary field research.
- Experience in developing, delivering and evaluating campaign strategies and tactics.
- Experience in building networks for partnership development and outreach
- Strong skills in written and spoken English and Bahasa Malaysia. Proficiency of a commonly-used language in Malaysia is a merit.
- Experience in speaking to the media as a spokesperson.
- Experience in developing and managing the implementation of climate and energy campaigns strategy.
Interested candidates are invited to (1) write a Letter of Introduction, explaining why you are qualified for the position and why you want to work for Greenpeace and Curriculum Vitae (CV) email us.
Website : https://www.greenpeace.org/malaysia/act/jobs/climate-and-energy-campaigner/
Job Type: Contract
Contract length: 12 months
- Additional leave
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Gym membership
- Health insurance
- Maternity leave
- Opportunities for promotion
- Parental leave
- Professional development
- Vision insurance
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kuala Lumpur: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Advocacy: 3 years (Required)
- Environment Campaign: 3 years (Required)
- Campaign Strategies: 3 years (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Required)
Application Deadline: 01/02/2023