Job Title:Senior Major Gifts Officer
Organization: Greenpeace MENA
Department: GP MENA Fundraising Department
Reports to: Fundraising Director
Location: The job is based in the UAE (Remotely)
The purpose of this role is to develop the major donor portfolio of GP MENA, so as to magnify the fundraising income of GP MENA by acquiring, retaining, and further developing relationships with Major donors, including U/HNWIs. The Senior Major Gifts Officer is responsible for managing a pool of major gift donors and prospects and for advancing this pool to meet ambitious fundraising goals for High-Value giving.
The role provides a chance to significantly advance and build the further development of a sophisticated fundraising program with great potential in the MENA region
Scope The Senior Major Gifts Officer sets target forecasts, and goals, develops strategies, communicates effectively with donors, conducts face-to-face visits, solicits gifts, stewards those gifts, tracks progress, and evaluates performance. Responsible for the development and implementation of a strategy to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of Major Donors. successful stewarding and relationship cultivation, to increase value. and be comfortable asking for five and six-figure gifts. He or she must be able to prioritize major donor relationships and collaborate in the development of those relationships with the campaign team, senior leaders, and board members in Greenpeace MENA and globally.
STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT & PLANNING Work in collaboration with the Fundraising Director to set annual fundraising plans and goals for major donors, including acquisition, retention, reactivation, upgrade, special appeals, charitable events, and consistent proposal writing to leverage major gift contributions to the overall fundraising income.
Conceives, communicates, implements, and adjusts strategies for every donor in the pool. Carries out strategies by actively and regularly managing moves that advance donors towards making major gifts or increasing their major gift level of support.
PROSPECTING AND RESEARCH Research and Prospect potential High-value donors and compile, with the support of all relevant internal parties, the corresponding documentation and funding proposals required for becoming their grantees. Proactively manage and review the cold and longshot prospect lists and ensure records are regularly up-to-date. Attend regular Major Gift Prospecting meetings and contribute to strategy discussions.
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS Build robust and dynamic relationships with GP MENA supporters, both personally and with the wider organization. Develop and deliver bespoke cultivation strategies for donors and prospects to maximize their giving. Aim to spend a good amount of time in contact or communication with donors and prospects and attend or facilitate regular donor meetings.
ASKING FOR GIFTS Understands the giving cycle, develops authentic personal relationships with donors, and knows when to ask. Solicits gifts personally and, when appropriate, in tandem with the Fundraising Director and other related staff.
Identify areas of GP MENA work most likely to engage donors and prospects according to their particular areas of interest or motivations. Balance demand for restricted, project-specific gifts to GP MENA priority campaign areas and unrestricted donations according to the needs of the organization and the donor.
With the support of the Fundraising Director and the campaigners, develop and send bespoke major gift proposals. Make face-to-face, telephone, and written requests for support according to what will maximize the gift for each donor.
EVENTS Plan and deliver events for major donors and small prospecting events in collaboration with ED and other colleagues, both according to regional strategies and in concert with ship tour opportunities.
THANKING AND STEWARDSHIP Create personalized thank-you, acknowledgment, and stewardship plans for major donor gifts, including directing communications from the Fundraising Director or other people in the organization where required. Ensure that all gifts from major donors are properly acknowledged within four days or less of receipt.
Ensure that appropriate reports are produced and sent to relevant donors on time.
TEAM WORKING Attend and report back on appropriate campaign meetings, working with colleagues in the team to ensure all areas of Greenpeace’s work are covered efficiently. Participate in campaign teamwork as desired and agreed upon with the line manager.
Support the work of the rest of the fundraising team and contribute to the development of an ongoing strategy to increase overall income from major gifts for Greenpeace MENA.
Circulate key learnings from each donor meeting and share successes and challenges with the rest of the team to build collective knowledge and experience.
BUDGETS AND REPORTING Work with the rest of the team to set and monitor annual budgets for major gifts. Be responsible for delivering against targets for your donor portfolio.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES Maintain a working knowledge of the GP MENA supporter database. Update database records and solicitation plans for donors in your portfolio. Make effective use of areas of individual expertise, knowledge, and experience to contribute to the success of teamwork.
OTHER: Any other duty, as appropriate to the post and as delegated by your line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree is required; working knowledge of environmental issues and activism is essential.
Experience & Skills
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant, proven experience working within fundraising.
- Experience in major donor prospecting and research.
- An understanding of the principles of relationship fundraising and stewardship.
- Experience in planning and delivering fundraising events.
- Experience in developing fundraising communications.
- Experience working with or toward budgets and financial targets
- A proven record of practicing fundraising, target forecasting, and target achievement.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills, including meeting supporter expectations and responding to difficult questions or objections.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately to different audiences, e.g., tailoring your approach and manner of communication.
- Proven ability to process and communicate detailed information and present the key facts and figures, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong ability to build robust interpersonal relationships with supporters, staff, and creative agencies.
- Ability to work closely with campaign teams and other non-fundraising staff that have different priorities and ways of working.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of people
- Strong organizational and project management skills, team-building skills, and familiarity with relational databases are required.
- Good attention to detail
- Passion for communicating Greenpeace’s campaign messages to supporters.
- Assertiveness alongside empathy and sensitivity.
- Ability to make quick decisions using one's own discretion
- Ability to work effectively and creatively and be calm under pressure.
- The ability to manage systems, set priorities, and work within deadlines is essential.
- Strongly committed to the aims and objectives of Greenpeace.
- Flexibility to work outside of office hours when necessary.
Ability and willingness to travel when needed.
Commitment to Greenpeace’s core values in response to environmental and peace issues through non-violent direct action-led campaigning in line with its mission.
Greenpeace MENA is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce and encourages applicants irrespective of gender, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, culture, religion, and ethnic background to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to apply
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to this link no later than November16, 2023