Carbon Management Federal Implementation Manager
Great Plains Institute
30+ days ago
Carbon Management Federal Implementation Manager
Program/Role: Carbon Management Federal Implementation Manager
Location: Flexible, preference for the Washington, DC area.
Reports to: Vice President for Carbon Management
Type of Position: Full-time position
Compensation: Salary range: $85K-$100K - Benefits include health plan, 401(k) retirement plan, long-term and short-term disability, life, vision, dental, FSA/HSA, paid time off, and a communication stipend.
ABOUT THE GREAT PLAINS INSTITUTE
The mission of Great Plains Institute (GPI) is to transform the energy system to benefit the economy and the environment. Increased demand for GPI’s unique blend of energy expertise and consensus-derived solutions has driven organizational and programmatic growth. With headquarters in Minnesota, GPI’s operations are national in scope while retaining a core competency in the Midcontinent region. GPI is powered by more than 50 professionals and is supported by some of the nation’s most respected philanthropies. Please visit www.betterenergy.org to learn more.
ABOUT THE CARBON MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
GPI’s Carbon Management Program is dedicated to fostering deployment of solutions at climate scale for managing carbon emissions from energy, industry and manufacturing, while protecting and creating high-wage, family-sustaining jobs and providing economic and environmental benefits to affected communities. Through our staffing and coordination of the Carbon Capture Coalition at the federal level, the State Carbon Capture Work Group and Regional Deployment Initiative, the Industrial Innovation Initiative, and the Carbon Management Action Network, GPI’s Carbon Management Program is playing a transformative role in building broad industry, labor, and NGO engagement and support for federal and state policies necessary to put our nation on a path to net-zero emissions and achieving midcentury climate goals. The Carbon Management Program is a fast-paced collaborative team with an entrepreneurial spirit that encourages and appreciates equal contribution from members at all levels of the team.
The Carbon Management Federal Implementation Manager (the Manager) will lead federal implementation efforts across our core projects, including monitoring federal agency activities and progress, developing recommendations and comments to those agencies, and coordinating broader advocacy and communications around implementation priorities. The position will involve coordination across staff, membership and partners engaged in the Carbon Capture Coalition, the Industrial Innovation Initiative, the Regional Carbon Capture Deployment Initiative, and the Carbon Management Action Network in order to support our shared carbon management and industrial decarbonization agenda.
The Manager will be expected to work both independently and with colleagues on projects. The successful candidate will be able to complete various work elements from conception to completion in a timely manner and follow direction that may be detailed or minimal. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work collaboratively and constructively with project participants from diverse backgrounds, interests and points of view; exercise good judgment in a variety of situations; maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities; utilize effective methods for time management and prioritization of tasks; and possess the ability to identify and address urgent and important needs in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Hours may be flexible and are typically Monday through Friday during the business day; some nights and weekends may be required. Some travel will also be required.
Lead implementation efforts of relevant federal policy and collaborate on other work with the Carbon Management Team, including:
- Develop and execute a detailed implementation strategy for effective policy deployment;
- Track and analyze developments in relevant implementation priorities;
- Coordinate communications efforts around relevant implementation priorities, including maintaining situational awareness of and coordination with GPI’s enterprise-level communications;
- Draft project-related content, including blog posts, issue briefs/factsheets, press releases, social media posts, messaging guidance and other materials;
- Recruit, develop and maintain robust relationships with project participants;
- Participate in weekly Carbon Management staff calls;
- Other programmatic support when needed as directed by the Vice President.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Prior experience (2+ years) working in public policy at the federal level;
- Prior experience with federal agencies at the program level highly desired, or regular engagement with federal agencies as part of prior job duties;
- Excellent research, writing, verbal communication and interpersonal skills;
- High attention to detail and ability to work independently;
- Excellent time and deadline management, project management and team relationship skills;
- Knowledge of, or prior experience with, climate, energy and/or environmental issues a plus;
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work collaboratively and effectively with very diverse individuals and institutions, including those with different backgrounds and political perspectives, with which you may personally disagree;
- Commitment to the mission, values, culture, and goals of the Great Plains Institute and its Carbon Management Program.
The Carbon Management team is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Desktop computer and/or laptop, copier, calculator, printer, telephone.
HOW TO APPLY
Required application materials include a resume and one-page cover letter. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Great Plains Institute is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. GPI is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace for all.