Job Description SummaryReporting to the New Technology Introduction (NTI) manager, the Senior Engineer – Modelling, Control and Simulation will lead the development of models and control concepts for new requirements in the high voltage direct current (HVDC) market.
This role is key to drive the technological developments in line with the HVDC market needs, as well as the wider power systems engineering and scientific community such as working groups, standards, and conferences.
- Lead and take ownership of the design and development of modelling and control techniques in both time- and frequency-domain to satisfy the needs of the voltage sourced converter (VSC) HVDC market
- Lead and take ownership of the development of requirement specifications, design specifications and test specifications
- Lead and take ownership of the validation efforts with high-fidelity computer models in Model-in-the-Loop (MIL), Software-in-the-Loop (SIL) and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL), using software tools such as MATLAB / Simulink, PSCAD and RSCAD
- Mentor and guide a team of engineers in achieving the business objectives
- Define, configure, and maintain real-time simulation platforms to integrate GE’s eLuminaTM control and protection system
- Define, plan, and monitor development activities and their progress
- Participate in gate review meetings, design review meetings and quality processes
- Contribute in and influence the development of working group activities such as CIGRE, VDE, ENTSO-E and IEEE standards
- Ensure GE’s Health and Safety processes are adhered to by personnel
Qualifications / Requirements
- Master’s degree or above in Electrical or Electronic Engineering, with focus on Power Systems, Power Electronics or Control Theory
- Expert in power system, modelling and control first principles and algorithms used in the VSC-HVDC modular multilevel converter (MMC) technology
- Expert in HVDC system design, control and protection, including component level interactions and considerations in HVDC schemes
- In-depth of experience in HVDC system design, control development and validation
- Demonstrable of experience in working with MATLAB / Simulink and / or PSCAD for VSC-HVDC applications
- Experience in time and frequency-domain modelling and simulation of multi-terminal VSC-HVDC schemes
- Experience in participation in working groups for standards and Grid Codes
- Experience in leading teams of engineers towards achieving the company’s objectives
- Familiarity with quality processes such as “Agile” development practices would be advantageous
- Demonstrated experience and track record of success in working with global engineering teams
About GE Grid Solutions:
At GE Grid Solutions we are electrifying the world with advanced grid technologies. As leaders in the energy space our goal is to accelerate the transition for a more energy efficient grid to full fill the needs of tomorrow. With a focus on growth and sustainability GE Grid Solutions plays a pivotable role in integrating Renewables onto the grid to drive to carbon neutral. In Grid Solutions we help enable the transition for a greener more reliable Grid. GE Grid Solutions has the most advanced and comprehensive product and solutions portfolio within the energy sector.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the energy transition.
What we offer:
Working in an international team which is part of global Engineering HVDC Centre of Excellence within Grid Integration based in Stafford and Berlin.
A key role in a dynamic, international working environment with a large degree of flexibility of work agreements
Competitive benefits, and great development opportunities
Relocation Assistance Provided: No