Job Description SummaryGE Renewable Energy are looking for a Secondary Design Manager to work in our Grid Solutions business from our Stafford office.
Grid Solutions is serving customers globally with over 20,000 employees in around 80 countries. Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to the end power consumers.
Grid Solutions offers advanced products and services ranging from power electronics, high voltage equipment, automation & protection, software solutions to projects & services. As part of Projects & Service, GS provides Turnkey Projects & Consulting, Electrical Balance of Plant, HV substations and maintenance & asset management.
The Secondary Design Manager will lead a geographically diverse team of designers, sub contractors, engineers and project teams working on protection and control schematics and substation equipment.
The role will offer a high level overview of design and interface with various teams throughout the project cycle.
The successful candidate will need to have considerable experience in Protection and Control design.
The Secondary Design Manager is the technical guarantor of the proper performance of design works conditions in his/her field of activity, in matter of committed design budget (man days), deadline and Quality, in line with Customer expectation, while promoting ease of installation, operation and maintenance of the system.
He/she plans basic and detailed design activities, manages & oversees detailed execution progress, coordinates delivery of required engineering documentation for procurement, manufacturing and site erection associated to concerned activity, based on Customer specifications and requirement, and internal standards.
- Scope of work & time schedule
- Establish, based on tender and contract analysis, and project strategy, the list of documents to produce for his/her field of activity
- Evaluates with PEM or PM engineering workload and deliverables dates for concerned package, and commits to such budget in man days and in time delivery
- Ensures on-time delivery of design, including Partner documents, to stakeholders with suitable quality
- Anticipate and mitigate delivery issues and recommend changes
- Lead & coordinate his/her design team
- Manage and monitor detailed execution progress and short-term plan
- Request from PEM or PM required technical coordination meetings with partners or key suppliers if & when appropriate, to synchronise respective designs
- Manage design time spent in man-hours on relevant activities
- Follows & implements project strategy
- Highlights scope or design changes (data for claims, VO..)
- Informs PEM / PM of design issues all along project execution and propose range of solutions for decision; follow solutions agreed up to resolution
- Analyse customer technical requirements
- Ensures compliance to customer requirements
- Represents customer interests in the design decisions at PM request
- Coordinate with Partners coordination regarding customer technical comments on their scope
- Looks for cost optimisation in all design phases and mainly during basic design
- Ensures technical consistency of design area
- Checks design subcontractor deliverables
Desired Skills and Experience
- Electrical degree OR relevant experience.
- Engineering experience in the related activity/discipline, preferably in project & EPC type environment in T&D, Power Gen or Oil &Gas industry, or 2 to 4 Medium Set projects in position of Lead Engineer
- Experience of project technical management processes, preferably in a multi-disciplinary team’s context with multiple interfaces
- Several experiences in managing externally subcontracted design work package of various sizes
- Knowledge of Transmission or Distribution industry
Relocation Assistance Provided: No