Job Description SummaryThe Primary Design Manager will lead a geographically diverse team of designers, sub-contractors, engineers and project teams working on HV equipment layouts
The role will offer a high-level overview of design and interface with various teams throughout the project cycle.
The Primary Designer is the technical guarantor of the proper performance of design works conditions in his/her field of activity, in matter of committed design budget (man days), deadline and Quality, in line with Customer expectation, while promoting ease of installation, operation and maintenance of the system.
He/she plans basic and detailed design activities, manages & oversees detailed execution progress, coordinates delivery of required engineering documentation for procurement, manufacturing and site erection associated to concerned activity, based on Customer specifications and requirement, and internal standards.
- Scope of work & time schedule
- Establish, based on tender and contract analysis, and project strategy, the list of documents to produce for his/her field of activity
- Evaluates with PEM or PM engineering workload and deliverables dates for concerned package, and commits to such budget in man days and in time delivery
- Ensures on-time delivery of design, including Partner documents, to stakeholders with suitable quality
- Anticipate and mitigate delivery issues and recommend changes
- Lead & coordinate his/her design team
- Manage and monitor detailed execution progress and short-term plan
- Request from PEM or PM required technical coordination meetings with partners or key suppliers if & when appropriate, to synchronise respective designs
- Manage design time spent in man-hours on relevant activities
- Follows & implements project strategy
- Highlights scope or design changes (data for claims, VO..)
- Informs PEM / PM of design issues all along project execution and propose range of solutions for decision; follow solutions agreed up to resolution
- Analyse customer technical requirements
- Ensures compliance to customer requirements
- Represents customer interests in the design decisions at PM request
- Coordinate with Partners coordination regarding customer technical comments on their scope
- Looks for cost optimisation in all design phases and mainly during basic design
- Ensures technical consistency of design area
- Checks design subcontractor deliverables
Desired Skills and Experience
- Relevant degree - electrical or mechanical, function of field of activity involved.
- Good level of years engineering experience in the related activity/discipline, preferably in project & EPC type environment in T&D, Power Gen or Oil &Gas industry, or 2 to 4 Medium Set projects in position of Lead Engineer
- Experience of project technical management processes, preferably in a multi-disciplinary team’s context with multiple interfaces
- Several experiences in managing externally subcontracted design work package of various sizes
- Knowledge of Transmission or Distribution industry
The North Europe Grid System Integration (GSI) team delivers a wide range of turnkey high voltage AC and DC transmission projects to its Customers in the UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia.
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 13,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. Grid Solutions is focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. We electrify the world with advanced grid technologies and accelerate the energy transition.
About GE Grid Solutions:
At GE Grid Solutions we are electrifying the world with advanced grid technologies. As leaders in the energy space our goal is to accelerate the transition for a more energy efficient grid to full fill the needs of tomorrow. With a focus on growth and sustainability GE Grid Solutions plays a pivotable role in integrating Renewables onto the grid to drive to carbon neutral. In Grid Solutions we help enable the transition for a greener more reliable Grid. GE Grid Solutions has the most advanced and comprehensive product and solutions portfolio within the energy sector.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the energy transition.
What we offer:
Working in an international team which is part of global Engineering HVDC Centre of Excellence within Grid Integration based in Stafford and Berlin.
A key role in a dynamic, international working environment with a large degree of flexibility of work agreements
Competitive benefits, and great development opportunities
Relocation Assistance Provided: No