Job Description SummaryBecome part of a winning team and help to deliver the Green Energy transition
GE is a worldwide Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organised around a global exchange of knowledge through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure, and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for our customers.
GE Grid Solutions Limited is an international leader in high power electronics and control technology, with over 60 years of experience specialising in the engineering of High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission Systems using both Line-Commutated (thyristor-based) and Voltage-Sourced (IGBT-based) converter technologies.
HVDC technology enables global and renewable energy transmission and is critical in meeting today’s demand for decarbonisation and the security of energy networks. As a technology leader, we are engineering and delivering HVDC solutions to meet the most complex electrical projects ever seen.
The candidate should ideally have Controls hardware expertise at graduate level or equivalent experience, but most importantly will have a good level of technical understanding of electronic/electrical engineering principles.
The candidate should demonstrate an ability to think innovatively and apply engineering knowledge.
The candidate should have an enquiring mind and desire to learn new skills, an ability to apply different engineering methods and a willingness to share knowledge are essential qualities.
Skills and Experience
- Able to work to deadlines with high quality and accuracy.
- Dynamic and proactive with ability to work on own or as part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team to resolve technical issues.
- Ensure correct and accurate technical documentation is generated consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
- Has awareness of EHS compliance, ensuring safe working conditions.
- Has knowledge of IEC 6185 protocol.
- Has experience of integration of Control & protection systems with Real Time Digital Simulation (RTDS).
- Has knowledge of Control & Protection design and development, wiring schedules, interconnection diagrams and power supply requirements.
- Has experience of providing technical support and participating in installation and testing of Control & Protection systems. Tasks typically inclusive of; Creating and carrying out test procedures, Investigating problems and diagnosing faults, Inspection and installation of equipment, Loading of software and firmware, Equipment configuration, electrical circuit and relay logic testing, Wiring of control cubicles, Fibre optic and cable installation.
- Has knowledge of component selection, analysis, and qualification testing.
- Has knowledge of component level design error testing and analysis.
- Has experience of product verification (bench testing) and validation (integration testing) testing.
- Is developing their specification & report writing experience and acumen.
Become part of a winning team and help to deliver the Green Energy transition
The North Europe Grid System Integration (GSI) team delivers a wide range of turnkey high voltage AC and DC transmission projects to its Customers in the UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia.
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 13,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. Grid Solutions is focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. We electrify the world with advanced grid technologies and accelerate the energy transition.
About GE Grid Solutions:
At GE Grid Solutions we are electrifying the world with advanced grid technologies. As leaders in the energy space our goal is to accelerate the transition for a more energy efficient grid to full fill the needs of tomorrow. With a focus on growth and sustainability GE Grid Solutions plays a pivotable role in integrating Renewables onto the grid to drive to carbon neutral. In Grid Solutions we help enable the transition for a greener more reliable Grid. GE Grid Solutions has the most advanced and comprehensive product and solutions portfolio within the energy sector.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the energy transition.
What we offer:
Working in an international team which is part of global Engineering HVDC Centre of Excellence within Grid Integration based in Stafford and Berlin.
A key role in a dynamic, international working environment with a large degree of flexibility of work agreements
Competitive benefits, and great development opportunities
Relocation Assistance Provided: No