Control & Protection System Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
Stafford, United Kingdom
30+ days ago
Job Description SummaryThe Control & Protection System Engineer supports the design and implementation of HVDC Control and Protection Systems by analysing customer requirements, assessing the necessary deviation from standard solutions, modelling the proposed HVDC control system, providing requirements for the hardware and software teams to implement and validate the resulting system.
Qualifications / Essential Requirements
- Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects
- Exceptional sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
- Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
- Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
- Execute, with guidance from lead engineers, the required control design, protection design & verification work packages on time and within defined budgets.
- Follow the departments standard design practices, engineering reviews and guidelines
- Prepare control, protection and sequencing strategy specifications, design, and testing with guidance from lead engineers.
- PSSE / PSCAD and PSSE / RSCAD Power system network conversion, modelling and verification.
- Plant modelling of HVDC System in various simulation tools (MATLAB, RSCAD, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Algorithm and state machine development in MATLB Simulink.
- Conversion of MATLB Simulink algorithms to other suitable time domain library models.
- Support improvements to existing algorithm/strategies for power fault recovery or instability issues during DPS studies.
- Support development of new strategies for control, protection, and sequencing (start-up/shut down sequence) to meet customer technical specifications if required.
- Support R&D teams to develop existing and new products and tools.
- Support continual improvement, raising the effectiveness and efficiency of the team through the introduction of tools, methods and process improvements and coordinating with the Continuous Improvement leaders.
- Cross functional training across five teams (Control Automation Systems, Control System Application, Protection System Application, Verification & Validation) will be provided.
- Studies in Electrical engineering or Power System.
- Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice.
About GE Grid Solutions:
At GE Grid Solutions we are electrifying the world with advanced grid technologies. As leaders in the energy space our goal is to accelerate the transition for a more energy efficient grid to full fill the needs of tomorrow. With a focus on growth and sustainability GE Grid Solutions plays a pivotable role in integrating Renewables onto the grid to drive to carbon neutral. In Grid Solutions we help enable the transition for a greener more reliable Grid. GE Grid Solutions has the most advanced and comprehensive product and solutions portfolio within the energy sector.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the energy transition.
What we offer:
Working in an international team which is part of global Engineering HVDC Centre of Excellence within Grid Integration based in Stafford and Berlin.
A key role in a dynamic, international working environment with a large degree of flexibility of work agreements
Competitive benefits, and great development opportunities
Relocation Assistance Provided: No