Lead Protection and Control Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
Oakbrook Terrace, IL, United States
21 days ago
Job Description SummaryThe Lead Protection & Control Engineer works on T&D substations for AC, HVDC and FACTS projects with designers, peer engineers & leaders. The engineer is responsible to define, design, coordinate all technical aspects of HV / EHV substation protection & control and oversee technical plant integration and optimization at project level considering safety, quality, schedule and cost criteria. The engineer should have great attention to detail with a can-do attitude & customer responsiveness. The Lead Protection & Control Engineer may be identified as project engineer for small to medium size project, which are highly secondary engineering focused. The engineer shall continuously update themselves with new technology and have a mindset of continuous learning, consistent with grid transition needs. Responsible for departmental operations planning/execution or is focused on execution of professional activities within a technical discipline. Functions with some autonomy but guided by established policies or review of end results.
The job allows modification of procedures and practices covering work as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (quality, volume, timeliness etc.).
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 13,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
- Ultimately be responsible for design of protection schemes for all kinds of T&D substations, Data Centers, Industrial, BESS applications including one-lines, three-lines, AC / DC schematics, and relay settings.
- Lead a local or remote design team to develop panel and interconnect wiring as well as panel layouts and elevations
- Evaluate the interoperability, control features, and communication / protocol aspects of IED’s serving as protection relays to provide an integrated solution including SCADA, Cyber Security and Telecom needs.
- Be familiar with IEC 61850 process and system bus architecture and its implementation for substations
- Coordinate with and provide technical assistance to SCADA engineers, substation physical engineers, and control design staff in order to fully develop system integration of protection, control, and monitoring systems. Work with team to meet project specifications, cost control, and schedule objectives
- Interface with internal and external team members such as Lead engineers, Project Engineers, Electrical Designers, Physical Designers, Draftsmen, Project managers, Sourcing, and support organizations
- Review power system load flow studies, fault studies, relay setting coordination, and transient studies performed by other agencies
- Train end-users on the theory, operational use, and maintenance of integrated protection and control systems
- Lead or support factory acceptance testing and site testing & commissioning
- Develop outage, cut-over, and testing procedures
- Define processes, procedures, perform RCA's (Root Cause Analysis), perform corrective actions, and validate process control. Support quality initiatives including aspects of ISO9002
- Work on development of proposals including: writing and/or reviewing technical specifications, estimating design man-hours and materials, supporting sourcing for vendor quotations, and the development of clarifications and exceptions as well as technical responses and performing technical validation.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors of acting with humility, lead with transparency and deliver with focus
- Earned Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university or college
- Minimum 5 years of experience in system protection schemes, relay selection, primary equipment interface requirements, operational analysis, communication systems and maintenance practices for transmission, distribution, and generation protection applications at both AIS and GIS substations.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, including international, for meetings and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations and comply with all relevant company travel and tax policies
- P.E. License or EIT with willingness to pursue and acquire P.E certification.
- Extensive experience in protective relaying coordination and practices. Good understanding of circuit breakers, fuses, circuit switchers, transformers, shunt reactors, cap banks, harmonic filters, HVDC and FACTS systems used in the control of power flow, detection and isolation of power system faults.
- Fluent in English. Strong influencing and relationship building skills. Demonstrated presentation skills and ability to succinctly communicate complex messages.
- Experience in technical problem solving. Mastering of sec engineering discipline (process, tools and technical aspects)
- Demonstrates ownership and accountability, judgment and decision making and has passion for the functional role.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes