Job Description SummaryThis role is designed to interpret the customer’s technical enquiry and to design the most cost effective overall solution for an HVDC installation utilizing the PES power electronics solutions, aiming to minimizing the total cost, and to specify the main (high-value) items of bought-out equipment. The successful candidate will be involved in the development and industrialization of solutions tools and processes. The successful candidate will have proven professional experience and technical expertise in the field of power system engineering.
The successful candidate may be involved in any of the following areas and is expected to have experience in a number of these areas:
Main Circuit Design
Develop an integrated scheme design that meets the Customer’s needs, by developing requirements on the ratings and functionalities of the different HVDC system’s subsystems, in an optimized and cost-effective manner.
Insulation Coordination Studies
Determine the temporary and transient overvoltage stresses on HV equipment and provide the protective level requirements for the surge arresters.
Equipment Lifecycle Management
Manage the lifecycle of high economic value High Voltage equipment such as power transformers, instrument transformers, reactors, capacitors, and surge arresters, covering the development of its requirements, specification, supplier management and the validation and verification (testing) of design, manufacturing and commissioning.
Reliability, Availability and Maintainability Studies and Management
Create, verify, and validate the reliability, availability and maintainability models for HVDC systems and subsystems, providing insight to customers and leaders and managing the risks, issues and opportunities that affect the systems throughout their lifecycle.
Create, verify, and validate the electrical power losses models for HVDC systems and subsystems, providing insight to customers and leaders and managing the risks, issues and opportunities that affect the systems throughout their lifecycle.
Lead Project activities within the Systems department and co-ordination with other engineering department
Take part in the development and deployment of engineering processes, working methods and best practices within the Department.
Enforce engineering discipline and set processes across all work tasks and adherence to company policies, quality procedures and work instructions (e.g., through trainings, technical reviews).
Report or resolve any non-conformances in a timely manner.
Development and Industrialisation
Develop and industrialise solutions tools and processes associated with the engineering activities identified above.
Health and Safety
Identify and evaluate EHS risks in own area and implement practical measures.
Set the example by demonstrating the proper acts and actively observe work conditions and behaviours, giving constructive feedback and celebrating EHS effective prevention.
Actively participate in defining corrective actions when work is unsafe or when an uncontrolled risk is observed.
Routinely observe routines and behaviours of others and provide immediate feedback regarding unsafe behaviour and celebrates achievements or safe behaviours.
Actively and routinely promote the identification of hazards and near misses to their team/s.
Desired Candidate Profile
Qualifications and Experience:
Preferably educated with a Master in Power Systems Engineering from an accredited institution (or equivalent knowledge) and proven professional experience and technical expertise in the field of Power Systems Engineering and preferably in HVDC System Design.
Technical Domain Competencies
At least AWARE of the following areas, and PROFICIENT in some of them:
- Power System Design
- Circuit analysis
- Power control
- Reactive power design
- HVAC domain knowledge
- HVDC domain knowledge
- High voltage equipment specification, design, and testing (E.g., power transformers, reactors, capacitors, switchgear, instrumentation transformers and transducers, surge arresters, bushings and insulators)
- Reliability, availability, and maintainability (RAM) assessment and management
- Electrical power systems modelling and analysis
- Insulation co-ordination
- Audible noise assessment and mitigation
AWARE of (Preferable):
- Network Studies
- Harmonic Analysis and Power Quality
- EMC assessment and mitigation
- HVDC valves and their control systems
Technical Domain Tools
- EMT Software (PSCAD, EMTP-RV, ATP)
- Reliability assessment (Reliasoft, Isograph)
- Audible Noise (SoundPLAN)
- Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
- MATLAB & Simulink
- Requirements Management (DOORS)
- Communications: Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Critical Thinking: Capable of structuring defendable arguments, evidence, assumptions, and decisions.
- Ethics and Professionalism: Personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession, and the environment.
- Technical Leadership: understanding of customer need, problem solving, creativity and innovation, relationship management, operational oversight and accountability, engineering instinct.
- Negotiation: capable of resolving points of difference, to gain advantage for an individual or collective, or crafting outcomes to satisfy various interests.
- Team Dynamics and Facilitation: Ability to be a team player and to facilitate groups interactions.
Engineering Management Competencies
- Planning: Ability to plan and manage own work.
- Risk and Opportunity Management: Proactively identifies and manages risks, issues, and opportunities.
- Acquisition and Supply: Generation of work products associated with acquiring or providing products or services.
- Knowledge Management: capable of deploying training, coaching, and mentoring to customers and colleagues. Proactively records and disseminates return of experience.
- Self-motivating, proactive and results driven approach.
- Curious, resilient, and willing to learn.
- Able to work to deadlines with high quality, sense of urgency and delivery.
- Focused on delivering value to customers.
- Strong problem-solving and root cause identification skills.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes