Consulting Technical Application Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
Minneapolis, MN, United States
6 days ago
Job Description SummaryThe Consulting Application Engineer (CAE) - Protection and Control is responsible for providing consultant level application support in a presales and post sales environment on the GE Grid Automation Protections & Control product portfolio. This includes working closely with the customer to determine requirements, demo solutions and promote the business value proposition of Grid Automation’s products and solutions.
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge -and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
- Acts as expert consultant to guide customer in planning and development of technical solutions
- Assists with technical development of proposals, assuring compliance to Customer's specs by working closely with engineering, product managers, and proposal managers to ensure valid statement of product or work for competitive proposal generation
- Acts as technical support to the commercial teams, providing technical expertise during Customer presentations, demonstrations, evaluations and testing.
- Assists customers in trouble-shooting and analysis of protection and control systems including: 61850 applications, Transmission protection, and industrial protection applications.
- Track issues discovered during demonstration, evaluation, and testing of product and follow through with Technology team to provide a resolution.
- Lead technical presentations presented to customers in support of sales or service.
- Provide product training to customers and sales force.
- Assist customers in product testing at customer location.
- Work directly with customers to influence technical specifications and support sales team to achieve closing key orders
- Responsible for the pre-sales technical support of customers and the sales team
- Take customer requests for quote and develop a product proposal around an application
- Outline, present, and sell the value of GE products and services that can benefit GE's customer needs
- Develop and cultivate long-term relationships at the technical levels of customer organizations
- Coordinate with sales teams to make customer calls and presentations and participate in bid meetings and site walk-through meetings with customer as necessary
- Support the development of new leads and market opportunities in the Sales Region
- Provide an essential link from the customer to marketing, engineering and product development teams
- Partner with peers and management to enhance selling techniques and approaches in line with both the region's growth objectives and Grid Automation’s initiatives
- Provide market dynamics input such as competitive intelligence and industry trends to the Marketing and Business teams
- Prepare and present technical presentations, white papers, and case studies at industry conferences
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 6 years of experience in power system protection and control
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
- Perform Power system protection coordination studies, short circuit studies and relay setting calculations and provide support for field installation
- Power system automation and communication expertise
- Hands on expertise in configuring and troubleshooting protection and control systems
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting 61850 based protection systems.
- Conveys deep understanding of industrial and utility relaying protection applications
- Demonstrates practical experience with protective relay settings, features and network communications
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor and interact with all levels of customers
- Work efficiently without direct supervision
- Self-starter, positive attitude, committed to the success of the business
- Strong creative and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and adaptable; open to change and modification of tasks
- Able to share ideas and work well in a team environment
- Proactive approach to tasks - displays initiative
- Strong organizational & communication skills and a proactive and open approach to conflict resolution
- Customer focused attitude with proven positive results
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No