Lead Hardware Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
23 days ago
Job Description SummaryAs a Hardware Engineer for Critical Infrastructure Communications (CIC) at GE Grid Solutions, you will be responsible for designing industry-leading solutions for industrial grade wired and wireless communications products. CIC is seeking a highly motivated Electrical Engineer who is team-oriented and well versed in the hardware design and development of digital, RF, and power supply circuitry.
A successful candidate will be able to identify critical design requirements, craft novel solutions to complex design challenges using modern technology, identify design trade-offs, and own various aspects of the design through implementation. The successful candidate must also be capable of working collaboratively with peers in the engineering organization to ensure that design goals are met. This role requires strong written and verbal communication skills to accurately convey complex solutions to audiences of varying technical expertise on a cross-functional team distributed across multiple sites.
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge -and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
As a Hardware Engineer, you will:
- Apply principles and techniques of electrical engineering, circuit design, and analysis in the development of industrial grade communications products.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of hardware design and leverage technical experience to overcome design challenges.
- Distill product requirements into technical requirements, estimate scope of work, develop hardware concept designs, and generate formal product specifications.
- Perform detailed design and schematic entry for digital systems involving CPUs, MCUs, and FPGAs.
- Perform detailed design and schematic entry of analog and power supply circuits.
- Demonstrate proficiency in RF subsystems sufficient to identify system dependencies and collaborate with subject matter experts.
- Oversee PCB layout containing analog, digital, RF, and power supply subsystems.
- Perform and document the results of circuit level validation testing.
- Collaborate with firmware and validation teams to ensure overall success of the project.
- Ensure compliance to product safety, emissions, and performance standards supporting 3rd party certification labs as needed.
- Provide MTBF and reliability data for the individual product subsystems.
- Assume design responsibilities for existing designs and perform sustaining engineering activities.
- Mitigate component obsolescence and shortage issues through component analysis or redesign.
- Support and troubleshoot existing product design deficiencies reported by customers.
- Provide product support to Systems and Applications Engineering teams.
- Provide support and specifications to Manufacturing and Test Engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with hardware design tools and development process spanning requirements to production (or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with analog hardware and power supply development.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with emissions standards including FCC, IC, ETSI, Anatel, and ACMA.
- Minimum of 5 years of industrial application experience with Ethernet, USB, Serial, and Optical interfaces.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with DFT and DFM techniques.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with Telecommunications and Data Communication products.
- Experience with programmable logic (FPGA/CPLD) design and implementation.
- Experience with VHF/UHF radio frequency technologies and applications.
- Familiarity with applicable industry standards (IEEE, Telcordia, ANSI, etc.)
- Experience with safety standards including EN62368-1.
- Experience with Altium Designer.
- Experience in Root Cause Corrective Action process and techniques.
- Familiarity with Agile product development.
- Familiarity with test automation software (ex. TestStand, LabView, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and collaborate with a team to resolve technical issues.
- Experience with high-speed digital hardware design.
- Demonstrated ability to produce Hardware Design Specifications and other relevant design documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to solve signal integrity issues and address signal standards compliance.
- Familiarity with passive thermal management and mechanical design.
- Excellent organizational, written communication, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and quickly adapt in a fast-paced engineering environment.
- Team player, customer advocate, and innovative problem solver.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No