Senior Electrical Substation Project Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
Houston, TX, United States
5 days ago
Job Description SummaryOwn the project control activity globally and drive consistent functional specifications and common global processes for projects implementation. Activities that are conducted to better understand or ultimately meet the expectations of the customer Impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Has significant input into priorities. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role. The role has moderate autonomy, requiring high levels of operational judgment.
At GE Grid Solutions we electrify the world with advanced grid technologies. As leaders in the energy space, our goal is to accelerate the transition to a cleaner, more energy efficient grid by integrating renewables and deploying cleaner technologies to fulfill the needs of tomorrow.
In Grid Solutions we help enable the transition for a greener more reliable Grid. GE Grid Solutions has the most advanced and comprehensive product and solutions portfolio within the energy sector.
Why we come to work
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the technical leader/manager to develop a scope of work and plan schedule and monitor engineering activities for customer projects. Provide technical leadership and interface with Proposal Management, Cost Estimating, Partners, Customers, GE Product Engineering, Sourcing, Engineering sub-contractors.
- Developing specialized knowledge in their discipline. Serves as best practice/quality resource. Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area. Contributes towards strategy and policy development, and ensure delivery within area of responsibility.
- Has in-depth knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Directly responsible substation outdoor physical design-for the general substation arrangement and layout, plan and elevation drawings, and layouts for high voltage bus, cable, high voltage equipment, conduit, cable, and wiring, grounding, and control buildings. Must oversee if not self-perform related studies and calculations as well as development of the bills of material.
- Writing high voltage equipment specifications and issuance of material purchase request forms, and vendor quotation evaluation for substation equipment including high voltage circuit breakers, switchgear, disconnects, high voltage power transformers, high voltage cable, and protection and control systems. Can develop scope of work documents with deliverables and schedule for subcontracted engineering work and oversee the successful completion of the work.
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations. Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own function to arrive at decisions.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May lead small projects with moderate risks and resource requirements. Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus. Developing persuasion skills required to influence others on topics within field.
- Single point of contact for technical issues for the customer and project manager. This is a customer facing role that requires an assuring credible presence in front of the customer and demonstrated commercial experience such as Project Management. The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for technical change and risk management and oversees the technical scope completeness for project commercial closure.
- Accountable for the quality of self and team’s deliverables
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 8 years experience in industrial or utility HV & EHV substation design or MSEE (power) with 3 years engineering experience in industrial or utility HV/EHV substation design
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, both domestic and international for meetings, troubleshooting, and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations. You must comply with all relevant GE company travel and tax policies.
- Working knowledge of applicable design calculations such as battery sizing & DC system component selection, power transformer and circuit breaker selection, circuit protection, control and power cable (and bus) selection and rating, bus, fittings, insulator, and arrector selection, ground grid design, and lightning protection.
- Able to work independently.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment. The Project Engineer must be creative, able to lead a team, and be accountable for team results in order to deliver a high quality product on time and under budget.
- Must be able and willing to get Professional Engineering license in the U.S., and to use their license as part of their work
- Experience in Transmission & Distribution substation engineering for utilities and renewable energy power plants and projects experience as an Electrical Project Engineer in substation type applications, including primary (outdoor) substation design and required calculations.
- Knowledge of and experience using IEEE & ANSI standards and codes such as the NEC and NESC. Moreover, ability to engineer design packages when no clear customer specification is provided.
- Field-testing and commissioning experience with safe work habits.
- Demonstrated electrical and mechanical troubleshooting capability.
- Good presence in front of the customer with demonstrated commercial experience such as Project Management
- Excellent personal computer skills, including programming and design automation, and familiarity with AutoCAD/Microstation strongly desired.
The salary range for this position is 108,600.00 - 154,800.00 Annual. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a performance bonus. 108,600.00 - 154,800.00 - 181,000.00 USD Annual
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No