Job Description SummaryAs a Senior Control & Protection Engineer, you will be working across two engineering disciplines, Solution, and engineering centre (NPI, ITO, OTR and Product Care) in all aspects of HVDC Control & Protection system, reporting to the Head of Control & Protection Engineering. This role includes developing department talent and Engineering process management, provide technical guidance, mentoring, drive consistent design practices, common global processes for projects implementation and provide technical solution that meets the NPI, project delivery and Tender objectives. Impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Has significant input into priorities. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role. The role has moderate autonomy, requiring high levels of operational judgment.
Come bring your energy to change the world
Grid Solutions, part of the GE Vernova portfolio of energy businesses, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. Grid Solutions provides equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We electrify the world with advanced grid technologies and accelerate the energy transition.
GE Vernova, a dynamic accelerator comprised of our Power, Renewable Energy, Digital and Energy Financial Services businesses, is focused on leading a new era of energy - electrifying the world while simultaneously working to decarbonize it.
If you are ready to make a difference and usher in a new era of energy, come join us.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, we are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
Roles and Responsibilities
As a Senior Control & Protection Engineer, you will also play a key part in technically developing less experienced members of the team, this is a great opportunity to further your mentoring experience as there is scope for this role to build the team up further in the future.
Responsible for leading overall requirement, design, implementation, and development of the HVDC Control & Protection system, this includes the following actives:
- Requirement & Design
- Engineering Design Process & Review
- Reviewing and approving technical documents
- Customer interface and training
- HVDC System in electromagnetic transient tools like PSCAD, EMTP-RV etc.
- Plant modelling in various simulation tools (MATLAB, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Dynamic Performance Studies (DPS) and other design studies using both offline and online simulation tools.
- Control and protection parameters tuning to meet grid stability criteria specified in customer technical specifications.
As well as:
- Support the business’ Tendering, Operations, Contractual and After Sales needs.
- Provide technical guidance that influences outcomes to other people, supporting moderate complexity projects and/or tasks
- Play a key role in engineering design reviews and technical leadership, identifying potential project risks and technical weaknesses and proposing safe, reliable and compliant solutions
- Execute and provide guidance for the analysis / evaluation of assigned projects that meet business standards, practices and procedures and the product / program requirements
- Responsible for coaching and developing department talent.
- Will be responsible in defining strategies and roadmap for development of New Engineers in the department.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May lead small projects with low risks and resource requirements. Explains information; developing skills to bring team members to consensus around topics within field. Conveys performance expectations and may handle sensitive issues.
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations.
- Continuously improving the product in terms of delivery speed, stability and reliability.
- Degree in Electronics/Electrical engineering or proven equivalent knowledge and experience in HVDC business
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in control and protection system design, and HVDC Control.
- Minimum 10 years experience in HVDC Dynamic Performance Studies
- Able and willing to travel 25% including international and comply with GE travel guidelines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Expertise in HVDC Control, Protection and Sequencing strategy
- Expertise in PSCAD and MATLAB-SIMULINK simulation tools
- Experienced in technical leadership
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs.
- Established project management skills.
- Proven technical leadership in a complex system engineering development environment
- Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements, ownership of technical discussions with customers and capable of developing client relationships
- Proactively serves on cross functional leadership teams; Makes decisions independently; Pulls in experts when needed
- Demonstrates track record of designing quality systems/components that exceed design reqs, beat cost targets, and exceed reliability targets
We deliver integrated project solutions to enable large scale electrification and support our customer needs.
The salary range for this position is 108,600.00 - 144,800.00 USD Annual. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a performance bonus. 108,600.00 - 144,800.00 - 181,000.00 USD Annual
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No