Job Description SummaryGE’s grid integration High Voltage Direct Current solutions, including AC & DC substations, are tailored and designed based on a project-by-project assessment of the customers' individual requirements, whether it's for connecting offshore wind generation, long distance power transmission, or energy trading between independent networks.
The Senior Plant Project Engineer is an established leader in their respective engineering team. This person drives business strategy through detailed technical and economic understanding of the marketplace and takes the initiative to drive business leaders to provide customers with the best solutions that positively impact business. The Senior Substation Project Engineer will also serve as technical mentor resolving conflicts and certifying finished engineering products as proper and correct.
The Senior Plant Project Engineer is accountable to define plant solutions & tools and to support proposal tender offering and projects execution…
The Lead Plant Project Engineer is the plant engineering representative at the launch of all projects and will control the technical execution of the project through closeout. Responsible for departmental operations planning/execution or is focused on execution of professional activities within a technical discipline. Functions with some autonomy but guided by established policies or review of end results.
The job allows modification of procedures and practices covering work as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (quality, volume, timeliness etc.).
Come bring your energy to change the world
Grid Solutions, part of the GE Vernova portfolio of energy businesses, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. Grid Solutions provides equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We electrify the world with advanced grid technologies and accelerate the energy transition.
GE Vernova, a dynamic accelerator comprised of our Power, Renewable Energy, Digital and Energy Financial Services businesses, is focused on leading a new era of energy - electrifying the world while simultaneously working to decarbonize it.
If you are ready to make a difference and usher in a new era of energy, come join us.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, we are always up for the challenge - and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
- Responsible for leading and coordinating all technical aspects of the substations and balance of plant for large and complex HVDC projects. The X must lead the team providing clear direction, expectations, and reviews to ensure goals are met or exceeded. The X must identify key internal & external stake holders and their needs such as technical information, execution strategy, and drive effective communications to align people for efficient work
- Accountable for engineering activities on the assigned project such as: schedule development & updates, design safety, planning & tracking project design reviews, design optimization, On Time Delivery, risk management, and quality control/quality assurance.
- Direct the efforts of engineers and designers, coordinating with sourcing and the project team on technical matters to meet project specifications, cost control, and schedule objectives.
- Interface with internal and external team members such as the Project Engineering Director, discipline PEM’s, Designers, CAD Operators, Project Managers, and support organizations
- Responsible for the power single line drawing, plan and elevation drawings, general substation arrangement and layout, construction details, and layouts for high voltage bus, cable, high voltage equipment, conduit, cable, and wiring, grounding, and control buildings. Must oversee if not self-perform related studies and calculations as well as development of the bills of material.
- Manage a combined project BOM & MDL from multiple sources, writing and/or reviewing High Voltage equipment technical specifications, supporting sourcing for vendor quotations and reviews
- Single point of contact for technical issues for the customer and project manager. This is a customer facing role that requires an assuring credible presence in front of the customer. You are responsible for technical change control and risk management.
- Accountable with the PED for the performance of engineering subcontractors. This includes work scope definition, hours used, change management, quality control, schedule definition & adherence, and customer interface.
- Accountable to meeting customer engineering CTQ’s
- Support proposals and tenders for HVDC or substation projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Transmission & Distribution substation engineering for electric utilities and renewable energy power plants and projects experience as an Electrical Project Engineer in substation type applications, including primary (outdoor) substation design and required studies.
- Able and willing to travel 20% including international and comply with GE travel guidelines.
- Strong knowledge on High Voltage substation North American standards & guidelines (IEEE & ANSI standards and codes such as the NEC and the NESC.), local Grid Codes and related equipment (safety, application, sizing and integration). Moreover, ability to engineer design packages when no clear customer specification is provided.
- Professional Engineering license in the United States and willing to review and seal your work and the work of others under your supervision.
- Strong knowledge on contract and project management, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC), or Engineering equipment package (EEP) project execution.
- Strong understanding of civil engineering and substation related structural design requirements.
- Working knowledge of applicable design calculations for primary & secondary equipment such as battery sizing & DC system component selection, power transformer and circuit breaker selection, circuit protection, control and power cable selection and rating, bus, fittings, insulator, and arrector selection, ground grid design, and lightning protection
- Experience with HVDC projects and technology
- Field-testing and commissioning experience with safe work habits. Demonstrated electrical and mechanical troubleshooting capability.
- Excellent personal computer skills, including programming and design automation, and familiarity with AutoCAD strongly desired.
We deliver integrated project solutions to enable large scale electrification and support our customer needs.
The salary range for this position is 93,600.00 - 124,800.00 USD Annual. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a performance bonus. 93,600.00 - 124,800.00 - 156,000.00 USD Annual
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No