Job Description SummaryAs the Sustaining Engineering Program Manager, you will get the unique opportunity to lead a functional engineering team maintaining technologies and innovative product solutions across the GE Grid Solution’s Critical Infrastructure Communication (CIC) business.
The Sustaining Engineering Program Manager is a management professional with a technical background and strong project management skills. This is a key leadership role within the company with responsibility to work with the engineering staff and CTO to deliver new products and sustain existing products sold by CIC business.
In this role, the individual will be responsible for all aspects of hardware engineering including New Product Development, Modification of Existing Designs, Sustaining Engineering, and Product Validation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage sustaining engineering functions for our network switch product lines (optical and traditional switches).
- Analyze technology trends, human resource needs, and market demands to help organize and prioritize projects.
- Estimate resource and material needs for the project/product.
- Manage the hardware lifecycle of products from product release to end of life.
- Collaborate with Operations teams to align on hardware plans/schedules.
- Monitor part shortages / obsolescence, develop and execute to plans to address.
- Provide progress reports for all projects and ensures timely and accurate reporting.
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with others.
- Rigorously adhere to engineering processes during all aspects of the design phase.
- Mentor and train more junior engineering staff.
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of current and novel related technologies, including competitive and industry disruptive technologies.
- Collaborate in leading and overseeing sustaining engineering development activities through the product development process, including Program Definition, Concept Development, Design, Validation, and Product introduction to manufacturing and launch.
- Confer with engineering management, supply chain, quality, manufacturing sales, customer support, and marketing to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and manufacturability of new and existing products.
- Promote, identify, and implement opportunities for continuous improvement through constant assessment of employee and process effectiveness.
- Participate and contribute to the strategic planning process by developing long and short-term objectives to achieve the company mission and vision.
- Interface with external customers as required to support company goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field with 5 years of engineering or related experience.
- Experience in managing project teams and/or mentoring junior engineers.
- Experience in leading product design & development efforts.
- Knowledge of design methods, verification, and validation.
- Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- The ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, etc. forms and move projects to completion.
- The ability to work with and without direct supervision.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and quickly adjust in a rapidly changing environment.
- Team player, customer advocate, and innovative problem solver.
- Experience project managing products involving hardware and firmware
- Experience with networking and telecommunications equipment
- Experience in Root Cause Corrective Action process and techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in a technical information environment.
- Experience with Wireless and/or Optical Communication technology
- Familiarity with Agile Product Development a huge plus
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong business and analytical ability
- Familiarity of bug tracking management tools (i.e. JIRA)
- Able to take initiative to improve processes
Relocation Assistance Provided: No