Job Description SummaryJob Description Summary
As a Lead Control System Application Engineer, you will report to the Control System Application Manager. The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated and dynamic team of engineers working on the design of Control and Protection functions for LCC and VSC HVDC schemes. The development of such Control system is technically challenging and involves a variety of engineering disciplines, contribution through teamwork and an innovative approach.
As a Lead Control Systems Application Engineer you will be expected to study and mentor others on the existing designs of specified project and functionalities in MATLAB/Simulink and transfer them to the PSCAD simulation environment across the full delivery process life cycle, including but not limited to plant model design and maintenance, verification model in MATLAB, creating test harness for conversion, writing model guides, and evaluating models in PSCAD.
- Support the business’ Tendering, Operations, Contractual and After Sales needs regarding:
- Defining control system requirements.
- Accountable for preparing the responses to technical queries from clients and solving customer issues.
- HVDC System in electromagnetic transient tools like PSCAD, EMTP-RV etc.
- Plant modelling in various simulation tools (MATLAB, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Dynamic Performance Studies (DPS) and other design studies using both offline and online simulation tools
- Control and protection parameters tuning to meet grid stability criteria specified in customer technical specifications.
- Conversion of MATLAB Simulink algorithms to PSCAD models
- Technical accountability as a technical leader in engineering design reviews, identifying potential project risks and technical weaknesses and proposing safe, reliable, and compliant solutions
- Understand the key milestones in a project plan, their financial impact and ensuring the technical risks are understood and mitigated in accordance with the plan to meet on time project delivery.
- Ensure that project plans contain the necessary activities and studies required to meet the requirements of the customer and the proposed technical solution.
- Support improvements to existing algorithm/strategies for power fault recovery or instability issues during DPS studies
- Lead and mentor others on development of new strategies for control, protection, and sequencing (start-up/shut down sequence) to meet customer technical specifications if required
- Proposing and leading continual improvement activities for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of control application team through the introduction of tools, methods, and process improvements.
- Support a standard product methodology mindset, seek opportunities to re-use solutions, improve quality and reliability whilst reducing the delivery timeline and associated costs
- Promote collaboration between all projects and ensure Return of Experience is incorporated
Qualifications / Essential Requirements
- Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects or proven equivalent knowledge and experience in HVDC business
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
- Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements, ownership of technical discussions with customers and capable of developing client relationships.
- Competent on functional characteristics of power systems and understand the interactions between AC and HVDC systems.
- Knowledge of HVDC Control, Protection and Sequencing strategy
- Experience in PSCAD and MATLAB-SIMULINK simulation tools
- Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality, and engineering integrity of the solution
- Must be flexible with working hours and willing to travel in order to support projects globally
- Process improvement or RCA experience or certification
- Experienced in technical leadership
- Experience working in HVDC industry
- Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice
Relocation Assistance Provided: No