Job Description Summary
For Grid Solutions, Offshore HVDC represents a key differentiating technology and a central focus for the business, particularly in Europe where Transmission System Operators have very ambitious renewable energy targets. In that context and for Germany, Grid Solutions is partnering with TenneT, which plans to invest more than $30B by 2030 in deploying new HVDC converter stations to bring Offshore Wind energy into Germany and the Netherlands.
In this context, Grid Solutions is looking for a Project Director who will oversee the execution of the entire GE scope of one 2GW HVDC project in The Netherlands. This is a large, complex multi-year EPC project (contract value ~ $1B), part of a portfolio of several HVDC projects for TenneT.
The Project Director will be responsible for project on-time delivery, profit & loss accountability, and customer satisfaction through management of project related activities and resources. She/He will provide leadership to strategically manage risks & opportunities and ensure that the project follows high standards in terms of quality, health, safety, and environmental requirements. She/He will coordinate with the consortium partner in charge of building the offshore platform (consortium led by GE).
If you want to be part of a major adventure at the heart of the energy transition in Europe and have a passion to drive large & complex projects with multi-cultural international teams, we want to hear from you!
Major Responsibilities in details:
- Manage the Execution phase for the GE scope of one mega HVDC Project in The Netherlands ~ 1B$
- Deliver on Environmental Health & Safety (‘EHS’), On-Time-Delivery (‘OTD’) and financial objectives (sales, margin, billing, cash) for the GE scope.
- Ensure Project Reviews governance in line GE Grid Solutions Operating rhythm with a key focus on Risks Management and related mitigation plans.
- Lead & coach a multi-cultural cross-functional project team composed of Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Project Controls (cost & planning), Finance, Contract Management
- Project Execution Strategy: Based on the contract, develop and implement the overall strategy for the execution of the project to achieve the project performance goals.
- Communication: represents GE towards the customer; controls and manages this interface and relationship. Manages the internal and external communication loop.
- Project Organization: Sets up and secures the necessary resources for the execution of the project. Support the organization of the project team. Coordinate with consortium partner.
- Performance Management: Constantly monitors and if requested reports the necessary key performances indicators (KPI). Takes immediately all necessary actions and decisions to guarantee financial, time, quality and safety performance to maximize project goals achievements.
- Quality, Environmental and Health & Safety Management: Establishes, implements, and monitors the Project Quality Plan, Procedures, EHS Plan. Ensures best compliance with specification at lowest final cost.
- Claim Management: define the strategy for managing claims and directs actions accordingly. Addresses claims by deciding on actions and leading them in consideration of the defined strategy.
- Risk and Opportunities: Defines a Risk Management Plan. Constantly updates and reviews the risk and opportunities of the Project. Evaluates and decides on actions that benefit the overall performance of the Project. Follows-up these actions implementation and results.
- Project Planning: Develops and monitors the Master Time Schedule, manages Project float to ensure timely completion of the Project
- Exercise commercial and finance controls during the execution of the project with regular reporting and forecasting of project metrics and KPIs
- Ensure the coordination of technical support/engineering, manufacturing/supply and onsite construction resources.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college. Preferably a technical degree.
- Significant experience in managing large and complex turnkey projects (+$100M minimum), preferably in the T&D, Power or Renewable Energy industry.
Desired Qualifications & Experience:
- Structured, solid problem-solving, strategic thinking, analytical skills
- High level of energy, grit, resilience with a “Run it like you Own it” mindset
- Excellent communication & cooperation skills, you are willing to have fun and deliver as member of a dynamic team of passionate project professionals from all backgrounds
- Ability to lead an international team (30+ members) and manage stakeholders in a matrix organization.
- Ability to create trustworthy & lasting relationship with customers at all levels
- Superior interpersonal skills, embodying GE leadership behaviors: Humility, Focus, Transparency
- Superior skills covering the full project management cycle: integration management, planning, cost control, procurement, risk management, contract management, construction management…
- Technical knowledge in electrical grids and ideally power electronics / HVDC will be an advantage
- Experience in Turnkey contracts with civil works will be an advantage
- Experience in off-shore projects will be a decisive advantage
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Fluent in English, German/Dutch language is desired.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No