Job Description SummaryThe Power System Design Engineer is part of the onshore wind product and design process and is a key person for successful, high quality NPI execution, fulfillment and field issue resolution.
Major responsibility is to execute and own the design of industrial electrical components used in the electrical system of a wind turbine. The engineer will work with other design engineers, drafters, sourcing, manufacturing, and suppliers to support the entire lifecycle of electrical components.
The scope of the global Power System team includes specific low voltage and medium voltage components within electrical system of our wind turbine products like Generators, Transformers, Power Conductors, Cable Harnesses, Yaw system, Electrical Switchgears, Control Cabinets etc.
The broad scope of the team and the global responsibilities of this position provide great opportunity to drive engineering excellence and quality, as well as to optimize the wind turbine generators, as well as the overall electrical system with respect to performance, cost and reliability.
Roles and Responsibilities
Develop the full or a portion of build to print and/or build to spec design packages for multiple electrical components within the team; utilizing 3D models, Bills of Material (BOM), wire routing, assembly drawings, fabrication drawings and specifications of components.
- Translate wind turbine system requirements into hardware definition. Specify electrical sub-components for use and integrate components mechanically and electrically. Integrate the components into the wind turbine system, agreeing with other engineers on the interfaces.
- Support the build and test of prototype equipment both at supplier shops and in a wind turbine.
- Support the full lifecycle of the power system components design from concept to production to field operation. Support supply chain, wind turbine manufacturing, and field operations regarding the power system components.
- Ensure compliance and support certification of the components to UL, CSA, CCC, and CE directives as required by markets where wind turbines will be built. Ensure compliance of sub-components and their use to international codes and standards.
- Prepare and present material for design reviews at each milestone of a new product introduction project including conceptual design, preliminary design, detailed design, and validation reviews.
- Develop should cost models for the designed components. Provide cost-out ideas and implement them in regular update cycles.
- Work with global and cross-functional teams to leverage ‘Best Practice’ for electrical power system component design and testing.
- Support Sourcing organization for new supplier qualification and supplier audits.
- Support root cause analysis on technical issues.
- Work closely with the Technical Leaders and global team members to ensure high quality and on-time delivery for all engineering assignments.
- Electrical, Mechanical or Mechatronics Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- Proven experience in designing low voltage and medium voltage electrical components such us Generators, Transformers, Power Conductors, Cable Harnesses, Yaw system, Electrical Switchgears, Control Cabinets etc
- Experience with related components and/or materials.
- Familiar with international codes and standards related to electrical cabinets and/or mechanical enclosures.
- Positive mindset with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional and global environment.
- Availability to travel 10% of the time.
- Experience working with wind turbine components.
- Experience with design tools such as ePlan, Unigraphics/NX
- Experience with design for six-sigma, design for reliability, design for manufacturability and design to cost
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Strong Program Management skills, experience and attitude.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No