Director of DEI Learning and Development
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami and Washington, DC.
The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Learning and Development is a critical part of the leadership of Earthjustice’s DEI work. The Director will report to and work closely with the Vice President of DEI to implement meaningful and sustained organizational change, and will also work in partnership with staff across the organization. The Program Director has experience and proven success in leading the development and implementation of DEI learning initiatives across complex organizations.
The Director will lead the scoping, vision, strategy, and execution of the organization’s DEI training and development program. The Director will be a partner and a resource for teams and individuals across the organization in creating and implementing adaptive and relevant DEI learning opportunities.
This position can be located in San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, Washington, DC, or be remote from the US. Office space availability may differ in other office locations.
- Lead the scoping, development, and implementation of the organization’s short-term and long-term DEI training program in consultation with the Vice President of Diversity & Inclusion.
- Create an iterative and coherent vision and strategy for DEI training and development at Earthjustice that takes into account the needs of different roles, teams, and groups of staff, as well as the strategic direction of the organization.
- Determine timeline and prioritization of organizational DEI training needs.
- Collaborate with Human Resources and other internal partners to assess DEI training in the context of the organization’s broader training and life-long learning goals.
- Partner with teams and offices to create relevant and adaptive training resources.
- Assess appropriate pedagogy for the organization.
- Manage request for proposal (RFP) process to identify training vendors for all staff DEI related training.
- Establish and maintain a method for evaluating DEI training and development efforts. Gather and assess feedback from relevant stakeholders on the effectiveness of DEI training and learning opportunities; as appropriate, use this feedback to shape training and learning offerings.
- Collaborate with other members of the DEI team to ensure a unified and coherent approach to DEI learning and development.
- Serve as a sub-administrator of Earthjustice’ learning management system, managing DEI-related content and processes on that platform.
Program Direction (20%)
- Partner with the Vice President of Diversity & Inclusion in the development, implementation, and assessment of Earthjustice’s DEI program goals and initiatives.
- Collaborate with critical internal partners (HR, Operations, etc.) to create and lead programming that will result in greater equity and inclusion.
- Serve as a thought partner for strategic work towards making people and management practices more equitable and inclusive, including serving on Steering Committee for the Strategic Plan on People and Management.
- Advise and connect staff members and teams to relevant DEI and conflict resolution resources.
- Model Earthjustice’s core values of justice, partnership, excellence, and inclusion.
- Manage a monthly internal diversity, equity and inclusion newsletter that highlights the work of the team and connects the team’s learning and development initiatives to the broader work of the team.
- Manage internal communication regarding DEI training and development opportunities.
- Collaborate on other communications for the DEI Program as needed, including the DEI annual plan and report card, blog posts, and language for internal and external websites.
- Develop presentations & talking points and present to internal and external audiences.
College degree preferred, a master’s degree a plus.
- 5-7 years experience in a related position.
- Experience in training and development required.
- Experience in program development and evaluation preferred.
- Must possess advanced knowledge of current diversity, equity, and inclusion theories, practices, and pedagogies.
- Proven experience designing and/or leading DEI training and development programs.
- Change management experience with proven success in designing and implementing meaningful organizational change.
- Experience facilitating meetings that have positive impact on overall goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Focus on attention to detail, including the management of complex information.
- Ability to collect, interpret and persuasively utilize data.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to deeply listen and empathize with others.
- Ability to maintain confidences and confidential information.
- Proven ability to build sustainable and respectful relationships throughout the organization.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $125,600 - $139,600
Salary range in Seattle, WA or Washington, DC: $119,400 - $132,700
Salary range for remote locations varies: $106,800 - $139,600
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite to be considered:
- Cover letter
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts resumes submitted for positions that are currently open. Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not submitted via the on-line application process (where available), will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position._
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records._
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Job Type: Full-time