Senior Litigation Assistant, California Regional Office
San Francisco, CA, United States
30+ days ago
The Senior Litigation Assistant facilitates the efficient practice of litigation by providing litigation and administrative support to attorneys and other staff in the California Regional Office. Responsibilities include a variety of complex administrative functions and litigation/program support; preparing quarterly lobbying reports; and improving program administration and operations to increase program efficiency.
The Senior Litigation Assistant, based in San Francisco, would support our work across offices throughout California. This position reports directly to the Legal Practice Manager and requires the ability to work both collaboratively and independently, with minimal supervision.
Earthjustice’s California Regional Office was the first of the now fifteen Earthjustice offices. With offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles the California Regional Office covers almost all areas of our work. We fight for the rights of all Californians to a healthy environment. We fight to protect the magnificent natural spaces and wildlife found only in California. We fight to transition California to a zero-emissions future fueled by clean, fossil-free energy. Earthjustice’s work in California is particularly important given California is both a health and climate leader and yet is still one of the largest producers of oil, with some of the worst air in the country, contains and faces some of the most challenging water issues, and is seeing its unique biodiversity face unprecedented threats. Learn more about the California Regional Office and its work at - https://earthjustice.org/about/offices/california.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Bozeman, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tallahassee, and Washington, DC.
Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are temporarily working remotely from approved locations.
Litigation Support (70%):
- Prepare documents under attorney supervision for filing in court and before agencies, including:
- Draft procedural motions, certificates, and disclosure statements;
- Ensure document compliance with court rules;
- Proofread, blue book, and cite-check;
- Prepare tables of contents, tables of authorities, exhibits, and exhibit lists; and
- Coordinate filing of documents either manually or via e-filing:
- ensure all court filing rules are being met
- ensure accuracy of service list and create proof of service
- ensure timely filing and service of all documents
- Become familiar with relevant court and administrative agency rules.
- Maintain litigation calendar, including:
- Monitor, calculate, and schedule court and agency deadlines based on court orders and Federal Register notices;
- Monitor Federal Register, court, and/or other web sites as requested by attorneys; and
- Organize meetings and events as needed.
- Maintain digital and physical files, including:
- Case pleadings, general litigation documents, and general correspondence; and
- Case management database (Intapp).
- Prepare client communications, including retainer agreements, litigation hold letters, and joint defense agreements.
- Assist attorneys with hearing preparation.
- Assist attorneys with preparation of presentations for board members, donors, client groups, public outreach, etc.
- Submit Freedom of Information Act inquiries and review and summarize responsive documents as needed.
- Perform factual research in support of litigation and advocacy;
- Stay up-to-date on environmental issues and network relevant news to cases, advocacy, and developing areas of interest.
- Prepare and file quarterly lobbying reports to the State of California.
- Collaborate with litigation support team to coordinate case coverage; communicate with litigation support staff across organization to share information, peer mentor, and contribute to collective problem solving.
- Take notes at staff or issue area work-group meetings.
- Schedule meetings for attorneys, as needed.
- Set up and coordinate conference calls, meetings, etc.
- Maintain subscriptions and order additional publications as needed.
- Liaise with Litigation Operations and General Counsel teams to provide input and feedback on best litigation business practices.
- Make travel arrangements for attorneys, when needed.
- Operate all basic office equipment (computers, printers, postage meter, fax machines, copier, scanner, etc.) and perform minor trouble-shooting.
- Track and communicate supply needs relevant for case work.
- Participate in hiring committee interviews and onboarding. This role may be asked to schedule interviews and contribute to the onboarding process for new hires, law clerks, and externs.
- Participate in mentorship programs and offer support to new hires.
- Manage California Regional calendar, mail, email, and voicemail. · Receive, research, and respond to public inquiries requesting legal assistance.
- Help foster office morale and inclusive work environment.
- Other tasks as assigned as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience or education required.
- 2+ years related experience.
- Proactive, meticulous attention to detail, and an unrelenting commitment to high performance standards.
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and computer skills (word processing, databases and spreadsheets, Internet, etc.).
- Excellent command of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work well under deadline pressure.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- The ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, including with remote staff, and to maintain confidential information.
- Flexible, punctual, and highly reliable.
- To meet filing requirements and deadlines:
- This job may require occasional evening and weekend work, as well as overtime on an as-needed basis.
- This job frequently entails work for extended periods on the computer.
- A team player who will take on tasks that range from challenging to routine work and the ability to work independently to identify, assess, and complete tasks.
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Excellent skills with Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite a plus.
- Interest in and knowledge of environmental, social justice, or public interest issues a plus.
- To qualify for Senior Litigation Assistant, at least three years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in a litigation setting, and research experience.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer a congenial work environment and a casual dress code. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
Salary Range for San Francisco, CA: $75,500 - $83,900.
Applicants should submit via Jobvite has been extended to April 7, 2022:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; (2) experience that demonstrates ability to meet the needs and expectations of the position; and (3) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with a diverse group of colleagues and clients.
Preference will be given to candidates who apply by April 7, 2022. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start as soon as possible.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Job Type: Full-time