Clean Air and Water/Strategic Litigation Attorney
Conservation Law Foundation
Montpelier, VT, United States
30+ days ago
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking an Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Attorney will work with CLF’s Clean Air and Water and Strategic Litigation teams and will be based in the Montpelier, VT office with some opportunity for remote and flexible work within New England. The position will be either a Staff Attorney or Senior Attorney depending on the final candidate’s level of experience.
Under the Clean Air and Water Program, the work will focus on protecting water and air quality in Vermont communities and throughout New England through administrative and legislative advocacy as well as state and federal lawsuits.
Under the Strategic Litigation Program, the Attorney will work on major cases that prompt region-wide, nationwide, or international action, and break new ground in the use of legal requirements and enforcement to bring about transformative change in outcomes for public health, natural resource, or environmental governance.
What you’ll do
- Devise and execute legal strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
- Represent CLF in state and federal litigation and administrative proceedings;
- Engage with legislative bodies to advance CLF’s advocacy objectives through legislation;
- Negotiate civil penalties, injunctive relief, and fee and cost recovery;
- Build alliances and coalitions among parties that may include community groups, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
- Draft public comment letters on administrative rules, permits, and other state agency actions;
- Assist CLF’s communications team in delivering advocacy news and key messages to the press, our members, and the public;
- Assist development team with fundraising efforts; and
- Prepare research reports, memos, and presentations.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter that is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience practicing law
- A passion and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
- Litigation experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to put your analysis into writing that is easily understood;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
- Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- A law degree and active bar membership in good standing in Vermont.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems, from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, boardrooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF frequently works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately from the impacts of environmental degradation.