Clean Transportation Staff Attorney
Conservation Law Foundation
Boston, MA, United States
9 days ago
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Staff Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Staff Attorney will work with CLF’s Environmental Justice Program and Clean Energy and Climate Change Program to advance CLF’s prominent clean transportation advocacy in Massachusetts. This position is based in CLF’s Boston office, with some opportunity for remote and flexible work.?
CLF is dedicated to creating clean transportation systems that increase mobility, are accessible to everyone, connect people to opportunities, support the creation and maintenance of livable neighborhoods, are prepared for the increasing climate threats to infrastructure, and reduce air pollution, traffic, and greenhouse gas emissions, while equitably distributing its benefits and burdens.
What you’ll do
The attorney will be a key player in helping us achieve our mission. The attorney will :
- Devise and execute legal and policy strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
- Research current transportation policy matters, including as they relate to the climate crisis;
- Develop and promote innovative transportation policies;
- Represent CLF in litigation and administrative proceedings and to the public through presentations and in the media;
- Appear before the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities and utility commissions in other states;
- Partner with and advise community and advocacy groups on legal and policy matters;
- Participate in state and regional transportation coalitions;
- Build alliances and coalitions among impacted and allied entities that may include community-based organizations, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
- Draft public comment letters on projects, policies, and plans; and
- Prepare reports, memos, and presentations.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter who can work independently and as a productive member of a talented and diverse group of advocates dedicated to CLF’s mission and distributed across New England .
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- At least 2-5 years of relevant experience;
- A passion for and commitment to transportation, the environment, and social justice;
- Transportation advocacy experience;
- Public utility commission experience;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- High level of organization and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
- A law degree and Massachusetts bar membership in good standing or willingness to join the Massachusetts bar.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in state houses, court houses and board rooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation.
CLF is committed to representing New England’s diversity in our staff, volunteers, boards, and membership and creating a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The base salary for the position is $80,000; the actual salary will reflect experience and qualifications. We recognize the value of work-life balance and also strive to create opportunities for growth for all employees through professional development.
CLF considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with CLF are conditioned on the candidate complying with CLF’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.