Chief of Staff
Conservation Law Foundation
Boston, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Chief of Staff to join our team working for a healthy and thriving New England for all. The Chief of Staff will report directly to the president and will act on the president’s behalf in providing leadership and oversight for the organization’s staff and day-to-day functions. They will anchor CLF’s executive council, consisting of the president and six senior vice presidents; serve as an advisor and problem-solver on critical issues; and provide oversight and guidance to projects of high importance.
What you’ll do:
The Chief of Staff will:
- Lead the implementation and further refinement of CLF’s strategic plan in collaboration with the senior leadership and executive team;
- Oversee strategic initiatives from development through successful execution in collaboration with senior leadership;
- Supervise six state vice presidents to ensure integration of programmatic and policy advocacy work;
- Partner with other senior vice presidents in integrating the organization’s policy and budget planning processes;
- Manage the executive council’s deliberation and approval process;
- Assist and communicate with the President in decision-making, organizational management, and initiative implementation;
- Improve current processes and coordinate organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity;
- Maintain effective avenues of continuing input from senior leadership and staff to enhance organizational engagement and morale;
- Manage agendas and logistics for senior-level and board meetings;
- Serve as the president’s surrogate or alternate in governance and other meetings.
What you’ll need:
The Chief of Staff should present:
- Experience and qualifications within the nonprofit sector and as a member of a senior leadership or executive management team;
- Past success in facilitating and implementing a strategic plan;
- Experience managing a diverse staff through periods of organizational change;
- Success organizing and directing multiple teams and departments encompassing a range of professions, disciplines, and subject matters;
- Past work on issues or in contexts pertinent or related to CLF’s mission;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proven success managing complex projects;
- Experience supporting a Board of Trustees or Board of Directors;
- Skill in creative problem-solving and in reconciling conflicting viewpoints;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, board rooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation.
If this opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “Chief of Staff, President’s Office” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
CLF embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.