30+ days ago
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a global challenge. Due to the fluidity of the situation, we periodically reassess our plans to reopen our offices. For the safety of our employees, our approach is tailored to the situation in each of the 30 countries we operate in. Travel is only conducted when absolutely necessary and safe to do so. Hiring managers will provide guidance on flexible work arrangements in accordance with country-specific safety policies.
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
Conservation International's work in the Americas began in Bolivia, where we completed our first debt-for-nature swap in 1988 — which allowed the country to switch out foreign debt for a promise to protect 1.6 million hectares (4 million acres) of tropical rainforest and the endangered species living within it. Since then, our focus has expanded to include a variety of innovative conservation efforts throughout the region, from upscaling restoration in the Brazilian Amazon to help prevent illegal fishing in Costa Rica. Today we have offices in nine countries in the Americas — Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guyana, Mexico, Peru, and Suriname. With a multidisciplinary team, we build partnerships with communities, governments, and businesses — and remain committed to restoring forests, improving the management of oceans, and strengthening the protection of critical landscapes and seascapes throughout the Americas.
We are seeking a dynamic leader for the role of Director, who has a pulse on the Americas region and a passion for culture and purpose-driven work. The ideal candidate would have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities of a multinational/multicultural global organization with a specific focus on the Americas. This candidate must possess a deep understanding of international politics and media, both in the Americas and in the U.S.
This position will be part of the Americas team working alongside the Brand & Communications HQ Team located at our head office in Arlington, VA. The position holder should be able to plan and execute complex communications projects and will work closely with the Senior Vice President for the Americas, Americas Management Team, and Regional Senior Communications Manager/Specialist for the Amazonia projects, and country communications teams. The successful Director will be a seasoned storyteller with an ability to build compelling narratives about the region.
This position is ideal for a strong multicultural communications practitioner looking to drive impact and continue to foster cultural competencies across the Americas.
- Coordinate the efforts of a team of talented communications professionals in 9 countries in the Americas.
- Serve as a senior member of the leadership management team for the Americas Field Division.
- Serve as liaison between CI global headquarters communications team and the region to align goals and priorities and harmonize work among offices.
- Lead the development and implementation of America’s Regional strategic communications: earned, paid, and owned media as well as digital strategies and public-facing efforts.
- Lead the creation and implementation of messaging platforms and oversee implementation to ensure that communications are consistent across all platforms
- Support CI’s leadership in the delivery of messaging during public-facing activities.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for CI Americas, as needed.
- Oversee the development of written content for external communications, media, social media, newsletters, ads, and organizational websites, while also leveraging brand guidelines, to tell the story of CI’s programmatic efforts.
- Establish, and oversee the tracking, monitoring, and reporting of goals and metrics of the region's communications efforts.
- Oversee the management of consultants, contractors, and vendors needed to implement strategic communications efforts for the region's projects.
- Oversee outreach activities with partners and build relationships with key organizations and external stakeholders.
- Train and mentor staff and partners on traditional and digital communications tools and best practices, as needed.
- Elevate voices from the field to HQ and vice versa.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- This position is open to offices in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guyana, Mexico, Peru, and Suriname.
- Regular Office work with a few trips to field countries, events, and projects
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations Management, Marketing or related areas or equivalent working experience.
- 7 or more years of relevant experience in strategic communications, public relations, and/or related fields including research, advertising, management consulting, media and publishing.
- Strong understanding of how to communicate with multicultural and international teams.
- Experience serving as spokesperson/on the record representative for international organizations.
- Track record of leading programs that have advanced organizational goals, preferably for large, well-known multinational organizations or brands.
- Superb people manager and have experience successfully managing resources and budgets.
- Entrepreneurial and professional with the confidence necessary to manage and inspire a team.
- Experience with crisis communications.
- Experience and contacts with regional and international media outlets.
- Prior experience in multicultural/multinational communications in an international organization or agency setting is strongly preferred
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2022 (11:49 PM EST)
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled