Climate Smart Forestry Manager
30+ days ago
Climate Smart Forestry Manager
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a global challenge. Due to the fluidity of the situation, we periodically reassess our plans to reopen our offices. For the safety of our employees, our approach is tailored to the situation in each of the 30 countries we operate in. Travel is only conducted when absolutely necessary and safe to do so. Hiring managers will provide guidance on remote, hybrid, or on-site work arrangements in accordance with country-specific safety policies.
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
Conservation International’s (CI) Conservation Finance Department (CFD) is looking for an experienced Forester to support our due diligence and project development work on Climate Smart Forestry (CSF) Investments throughout Latin America and to a lesser degree, globally. This work will help impact investors achieve the Paris climate agreement of keeping global temperatures well below 2 °C through the allocation of capital to private enterprises focused on forest protection, restoration, reforestation, improved natural forest management, and integration of trees into agricultural systems. The position will assess the silvicultural, operational, financial, and environmental viability of potential investees. The Forester will work closely with a diverse team of CI staff members from around the world to apply certification and investment performance standards, scientific knowledge, research results, and standard tools (GIS, satellite imagery analysis, inventory sampling methods) to evaluate the impacts of investment opportunities that can change paradigms in the forestry sector by optimizing carbon, timber, and non-timber production systems. The successful candidate is expected to be able to apply their experience in forestry to proposed investments to ensure robust rationale and likelihood for success. The successful candidate may also support other projects involving CI's mission and fill other roles as needed for the team's success, such as project management and coordination, communications, and managing partnerships.
Implementation and Technical Support:
- Apply standard and innovative approaches to evaluate the viability of the actual and proposed management of native forests and tree plantations for wood production and carbon sequestration with commensurate climate-related benefits.
- Provide inputs to assist in the implementation, and monitoring, of relevant forestry projects with local communities, governments, and the private sector.
- Provide scientific and technical advice to various fund managers and projects across CI, such as synthesizing relevant findings and developing guidelines/tools based on best practices for forest carbon projects.
- Participate in, and lead field-level Due Diligence (DD) of investment opportunities with a multi-disciplinary team of CI staff and consultants usually in remote locations and under demanding physical conditions across CI’s field programs.
- Use remote sensing and field inventory data (from primary and secondary sources) for growth & yield, harvest scheduling, forest carbon estimations, and reporting.
Project and Partnership Management:
- Build and support relationships with other institutions and the private sector to assess opportunities for innovative interventions.
- Proactively assist in the management of highly visible, complex technical investments and partnerships within, and outside of, CI that includes preparation of reports and oral presentations for non-technical audiences.
- Manage external partner relationships to accelerate delivery of the above workstreams.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This position is open to Latin American Countries preferably where CI has an office (Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil, Mexico). Flexibility of position location may be considered for qualified candidates.
- Work performed in a typical office environment, and with the ability to work from a home office.
- Extensive travel up to 25-50% in developing countries under difficult, rural conditions.
- Flexibility in the work schedule required to accommodate time differences between international field offices
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, forest ecology, natural resource management, agriculture, or related fields.
- 4 to 6 years of work experience in sustainable forest management in tropical countries including technical fieldwork with natural forests and/or tree plantations, forest certification, timber production, and related markets.
- Experience and up-to-date working knowledge of plantation forestry (i.e., establishment and maintenance), improved forest management in natural forests, and reduced-impact logging.
- Experience with statistical methods and software to analyze and interpret datasets (e.g., timber inventories, growth modeling, carbon accounting).
- Excellent English and Spanish written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail and experience with workflow documentation for projects and data.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to build on existing knowledge to develop new approaches.
- Experience in writing high-quality reports with multiple authors.
- Master’s degree in forestry, forest ecology, natural resource management, agriculture, or related fields.
- Knowledge of multiple tree species, forest ecosystems, and forestry practices, including the tropics.
- Proven technical skills in software used in data processing, and statistical and geospatial analysis.
- Proven experience designing and conducting tree inventory methods and processing and analysis of primary field data.
- Experience with forest certification, investment performance standards, and forest carbon projects.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal guidance.
- Portuguese language skills.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled