Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
30+ days ago
Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a global challenge. Due to the fluidity of the situation, we periodically reassess our plans to reopen our offices. For the safety of our employees, our approach is tailored to the situation in each of the 30 countries we operate in. Travel is only conducted when absolutely necessary and safe to do so. Hiring managers will provide guidance on flexible work arrangements in accordance with country-specific safety policies.
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
Conservation International (CI) seeks a strategic, innovative leader to serve as Chief of Marketing and Communications (CMCO). As a Senior Vice president, they will lead and direct Conservation International’s internal and external communications and marketing functions. This position will play a critical role in developing organization-wide communications strategies for increasing local, national, and international impact and profile.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who is passionate about conservation issues to steward CI’s powerful brand, bolster the organization’s profile, execute creative marketing campaigns to support program and development efforts, and build awareness about CI’s impact in the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Africa. This will include disseminating key messages through earned media; leading efforts to reach new audiences; and advancing the issues of natural climate solutions, oceans, and the role of nature in the broad public dialogue around conservation.
Reporting to the CEO, the SVP will oversee a Communications and Marketing team of more than 30 individuals. The SVP will partner with staff throughout the organization to uphold Conservation International’s mission, deliver impactful programs and demonstrate CI’s values in action.
- Create and implement forward-thinking, organization-wide communications and messaging to promote Conservation International’s work globally.
- Develop compelling messaging to diverse audiences, including the general public as well as the media, businesses, and policymakers.
- Manage all communications and marketing activities, including issues management, brand development, media relations, events, media campaigns, and crisis communications.
- Generate strong, positive press coverage and oversee the quality and consistency of organizational message.
- Provide ongoing messaging for key stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Develop and execute high-impact, creative ideas designed to guide long-term positioning and messaging with an eye toward thought leadership.
- Manage and guide key events including fundraising galas, dinners, and other events.
- Oversee key brand partnerships and engagements as well as advise on marketing execution.
- Lead a talented and multifaceted team of 30+ communications and marketing professionals.
- This position is open to CI Offices Globally. Please view a full list of our Global Offices here.
- The position will require some international travel.
- The position requires the ability to work non-traditional and extended hours to support a global workforce in multiple time zones.
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices.CI follows CDC recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, international relations, or a relevant area.
- At least 15 years of experience in public relations and communications, with 10 years of experience in developing and executing marketing and communications strategies or branding plans.
- 7 or more years of experience managing teams.
- Experience in a global organization with an appreciation for cultural sensitivities and differences.
- Experience supervising and leading a team of communications professionals.
- Ability to engage with and counsel senior-level decision-makers across CI and offer insight into alignment between divisional and mission objectives and communication.
- Superior writing skills, and experience in multiple forms of persuasive writing including success stories, news, talking points, brand building, media Q&A and presentations.
- Energetic problem solver and compelling communicator, with an ability to motivate and energize globally dispersed teams around CI’s work.
- Experience in a mission-oriented organization. Passion for and experience in conservation or climate-related communication materials.
- Fluency in other languages such as French or Spanish.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled