Restoration Insurance Service Company (RISCO) Project Director
Quezon City, Philippines
30+ days ago
Restoration Insurance Service Company (RISCO)
Project Site/Duty Station : Quezon City, Philippines*
*Open to International Applicants
Division/Program : Asia Pacific Field Division/Philippines
Application Deadline : 11 November 2022
Type of Contract : Fixed Term, Full Time
Expected Duration of Engagement : 1 year
Conservation International Philippines Foundation, Inc. (CIPFI) is an Affiliate of CI, a US-based environmental non-profit organization. Our mission is “Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, empower societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the well-being of humanity.”
CIPFI applies innovations in science, economics, policy, and community participation to protect the earth’s richest regions of plant and animal diversity in the hotspots, major tropical wilderness areas and key marine ecosystems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The RISCO Project Director will be a senior position based at CI’s office in Manila, Philippines. The Project Director will work with both a Development and Advisory Team which will be responsible for RISCO’s overall success and a Pilot Delivery Team which will be responsible for delivering the pilots in the Philippines (and potentially one other country in Asia-Pacific). Team members are primarily based in the United States and the Philippines. For additional information on RISCO, please see - https://www.climatefinancelab.org/project/coastal-risk-reduction/
The position is a fixed commitment ending on February 28, 2024 with possibility for extension.
Working directly with CI-Philippines, the Development and Advisory Team, and the Pilot Delivery Team, the
RISCO Director will:
Complete business plans for 2 RISCO pilots
- Establish modalities for RISCO’s insurance revenue stream, working with the insurance industry and insurance modelers as needed, and setting up appropriate monitoring systems.
- Assess and review results from the blue carbon feasibility assessments and the modelling of the flood risk reduction of mangroves at the sites to inform RISCO’s revenue streams.
- Working with CI-Philippines staff, visit the sites and create plans for mangrove restoration and conservation activities, including costing those activities.
- Create a financial model and lead the development of a business plan for each site.
Structure revenue generating agreements and investment agreements
- Lead transaction structuring arrangements and pay-for-success contract negotiations with insurance companies and blue carbon credit purchasers.
- Lead the structuring of debt/ equity investment agreements for the RISCO pilots, based on their business plans.
Engage stakeholders and represent RISCO externally
- Lead partnership development and networking with the insurance industry, coastal asset owners, and investors.
- Visit sites and engage with local stakeholders, supporting local CI teams and external partners to create a mangrove conservation and restoration plan for each site and establish conservation agreements with communities.
- Represent RISCO at workshops and meetings, from local site visits to international conferences.
Manage the project day-to-day
- Oversee day-to-day RISCO administration and operations (finance, donor reporting, etc.), including direct management of the RISCO Project Field Coordinator.
- Coordinate and participate in regular phone calls with the RISCO Development and Advisory Team, based mainly in the US, and the Pilot Delivery Team, based mainly in the Philippines.
(in keeping with Philippine Government and CIPFI regulations health and safety regulations during COVID-19
The position will require travel about 20% of the time – mostly within the Philippines but with some international trips. Travel may involve visiting coastal mangrove sites and engaging with local stakeholders. We are following
COVID-19 protocols and work with be conducted partially or entirely remotely when necessary, returning to a typical office environment when feasible.
Combination of education and experience equivalent to 7+ years of progressively responsible professional experience in insurance, business, finance, or related discipline(s), with the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Leadership & Collaboration . Demonstrated ability to lead, engage and collaborate within highly matrixed, cross-disciplinary, and geographically and culturally diverse teams and/or organizations to achieve shared goals.
- Business and Finance. Demonstrated ability to create business plans for projects, model costs, develop new revenue streams, and assess return on investment. Track record in negotiating business contracts.
- Insurance Knowledge. Knowledge of insurance industry, in particular innovative insurance mechanisms.
- Partnership Building. Proven experience in facilitating dialogue and developing partnerships among diverse project stakeholder such as communities, conservation groups, government, and the private sector.
- Analytical Skills & Abilities. Strong analytical and conceptual skills, and demonstrated ability to understand, evaluate, and interpret a broad range of economic, financial, scientific, and non-technical information used in economic decision-making. Demonstrated ability to translate complex information into actionable strategies and plans.
- Communication Skills. Superior written, oral and interpersonal communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to interpret and communicate complex analytical data and information to technical, non-technical audiences. Excellent skills in intercultural communication.
- Project/Program Management. Proven leadership in the administration of complex projects with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Language: Fluency in English.
- Experience designing insurance products.
- Advanced degree in Business (MBA), Economics, or other relevant fields.
- Knowledge of conservation issues in Asia-Pacific, and in the Philippines in particular.
- Knowledge of climate finance and policy issues, including carbon markets.
- Insurance modelling, geospatial analysis, and/or conservation planning skills.
- Experience in blended finance transactions.
- Fluency in Filipino.
CI Values: We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization. www.conservation.org
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
Kindly send letter of intent with your resumé that will include three references, including their email and contact numbers on or before 11 November 2022.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Php114,000.00 - Php180,000.00 per month
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Quezon City: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)