Terrestrial Forest Restoration and Carbon Senior Manager
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
30+ days ago
Terrestrial Forest Restoration and Carbon
Project Site/Duty Station : Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
Division/Program : Asia Pacific Field Division/Philippines
Application Deadline : 08 September 2022
Type of Contract : Fixed Term, Full Time
Starting Date : 01 November 2022
Expected Duration : 4 years
Conservation International Philippines Foundation, Inc. (CIPFI) is an Affiliate of CI, a US-based environmental non-profit organization. Our mission is “Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, empower societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the well-being of humanity.” CIPFI applies innovations in science, economics, policy, and community participation to protect the earth’s richest regions of plant and animal diversity in the hotspots, major tropical wilderness areas and key marine ecosystems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Terrestrial Forest Restoration and Carbon Senior Manager will lead all field activities that will ensure the delivery of targets on terrestrial forest protection and restoration under the Community, Biodiversity, and Natural Climate Solutions project in Palawan in collaboration with local stakeholders, and in synch with the activities of the other members of the project team.
The task includes providing technical support and guidance towards strategy, planning and project implementation particularly on conservation models (including community livelihoods), capacity building and project documentation in the areas of forest carbon stock and biodiversity improvements (including generation of co-benefits) across select municipalities and ensure convergence among all components of the project to achieve desired outcomes.
Working closely with the Palawan Field Lead and Foresters, the Terrestrial Forest Restoration and Carbon Senior Manager shall:
1. Lead the assessment and identification of priority sites for forest protection and restoration for the project.
2. Lead the development of the detailed implementation plan for forest restoration and conservation including annual/quarterly work plans and budget
3. Coordinate with Palawan Field Lead, project personnel and delivery partners to ensure that agreed work is well-organized with partners and completed on schedule
4. Provide technical guidance and oversight in the forest restoration work in the selected project sites and ensure quality performance by all involved.
5. Facilitate the development and implementation of site-specific forest restoration and conservation plans based on global and national best practices using the nature-based solution to adaptation approach.
6. Lead and support the establishment of partnerships and co-management structures with tenure holders, local government units, and local service providers in southern Palawan to foster community support for and participation in conservation and restoration activities.
7. Facilitate the development and monitoring of conservation agreements with partners.
8. Facilitate capacity building and awareness raising of community and LGU partners on forest restoration and conservation, and conservation models (including livelihoods).
9. Develop and implement community-based/participatory monitoring systems to maintain restored and conserved forests and capture lessons learned and best practices from the project sites.
10. Provide technical inputs on documentation (management plans, technical reports, scientific articles, and any other publication materials) of project activities.
11. Supervise and prepare reports on the periodic monitoring of established permanent plots for forest carbon stock and biodiversity assessments.
12. Provide guidance in the implementation of mangrove enforcement protocols.
13. Guide and facilitate strategies and measures to achieve uptake of project findings into policy and strategic planning processes at the national level
14. Where necessary, conduct field surveys, either through direct participation or oversight and regular checks of trained field team, ensuring all surveys are completed to budget and on time and data are entered and stored in electronic database
15. Provide support to the team in the monitoring and evaluation of climate impacts of nature-based solutions. This includes the design, implementation of carbon measurements, and assessment of findings.
16. Ensure partner/stakeholder standards and interests are represented and incorporated into project deliverables.
17. Contribute to internal reporting, donor inquiries, and communications.
18. Participate and contribute to the annual internal program planning.
19. Support an organizational culture that reflects CIPFI's full-spectrum programming of values, rights- based approach, gender responsiveness, accountability, and high performance.
20. Perform related duties as assigned.
PEOPLE AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position directly supervises project Foresters.
- Serves as subject matter expert on the project’s terrestrial forest conservation and restoration activities and strategies.
- Accountable for managing field gadgets, tools, and equipment.
- Advanced Degree in Forestry
- PRC registered Forester
- Practicing forestry and forestry-related works for the last 8 years.
- Experience in managing a team
- Knowledgeable of and sensitive to local community's culture and rights
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify solutions.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Team player and able to work effectively with diverse groups in a multicultural environment.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multitask, set priorities, and deliver quality results.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and under general supervision.
- Understanding of the socio-economic and environmental issues facing Palawan, indigenous peoples, and local communities is strongly preferred.
- Willing to abide by CI Code of Ethics and Policies.
(in keeping with Philippine Government and CIPFI regulations health and safety regulations during
- Periodic travel to remote project sites with a long and strenuous hike.
- Comfortable working outdoors for extended periods.
- Ability to work outside the normal work schedule to meet project deadlines.
- Flexibility in performing other duties assigned by the supervisor.
CI Values: We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization. www.conservation.org
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
Kindly send letter of intent with your resumé that will include three references, including their email and contact numbers on or before 08 September 2022.
Job Type: Full-time
Contract length: 48 months
Salary: Php130,000.00 - Php150,000.00 per month
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Puerto Princesa City, Palawan: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Application Deadline: 09/08/2022
Expected Start Date: 11/01/2022