Arlington, VA, United States
16 days ago
Writer/Editor - Brand and Communications
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
The Writer/Editor leads day-to-day operations of Conservation International’s external blog, “Conservation News,” and undertakes other writing and editing assignments as needed. As a member of the Editorial team within the Brand and Communications Division, the Writer/Editor helps ensure Conservation International’s blog remains a timely, accurate, media-rich online publication that engages and grows audiences, attracts press interest, builds a community of Conservation International supporters, demonstrates the organization’s expertise and effectiveness, and develops and broadcasts the voice of our staff as thought leaders and “go-to” experts.
Working under the direction of the Editorial Director, the Writer/Editor builds all blog posts on the site; conceptualizes, pitches, writes and edits articles; sources images; maintains the blog calendar; writes social media copy; transcribes recorded interviews; and liaises with staff to stay abreast of Conservation International’s work around the world.
Daily blog management -
- Ensure timely publication of 2-3 posts per week.
- Ensure all blog content is in line with our mission and messaging.
- Ensure posts are edited and approved before being created.
- Draft social copy for all posts.
- Work with the web and IT teams to troubleshoot any technical issues with the site.
Content gathering and storytelling from across Conservation International -
- Work with the Editorial Director to conceptualize, pitch, write and edit posts for the blog in line with the blog strategy, organizational priorities and project impacts.
- Proactively identify opportunities for blog posts about Conservation International’s programs and research, as well as news and trends that intersect with the organization’s work.
- Interview scientists and experts from CI to translate their research into stories that the general public can engage with.
- Collaborate with other teams within the Brand & Communications Department (media, marketing, etc.) as needed to ensure consistency of messaging.
- Work with the Design team to source images for posts.
- This position is based in Arlington, VA. Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- Some international travel may be required.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. Effective January 4, 2022, new hires will be required to provide proof of full vaccination with a government-approved vaccine as a condition for employment. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their applications.
- Bachelor's degree and 2-3 years related work experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Experience with AP style.
- Ability to plan and execute outstanding editorial content under deadline pressures.
- Ability to work both independently and in team atmosphere.
- Ability to understand how individual projects fit into larger strategic goals.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills in working with both colleagues and senior leadership.
- Flexible and solutions-oriented.
- A creative communicator with experience translating jargon-heavy, scientific information into content for an educated, informed general audience.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled