Visual Storytelling Video Editor
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
POSITION SUMMARY - This position is based in Arlington, VA
The VST Video Editor reports to the VST Director of Production and provides support for the VST Director as well as other members of the Visual Storytelling team in all aspects of production. The Video Editor makes creative contributions to the work of the VST while supporting and coordinating day-to-day production operations. A key activity is creative post-production editing and general production support. Other important responsibilities include supporting media asset management, logging and archiving existing and new digital media assets, general post-production operations support, and administrative production functions such as scheduling and budget tracking. This position reports to the VST Director of Production.
- Creative Production: Assist in the creation of VST products as assigned by VST management. This is particularly in regard to short-form promotional editing, motion graphics & effects, but also may entail scriptwriting, general editing, shooting stills, and video, audio mixing, and music direction. Support VST research activities which can range from researching technical and scientific information to support scriptwriting to studying current trends in production and social media, to investigating solutions for improved production workflows. The Video Editor will also work closely with all of B&C’s teams including Editorial, Marketing, Media, Partner Marketing, as well as global communications to learn the process, develop a workflow, and maintain constant updates of information and news, including video bits, photos and other visual materials that appeal to the Blog and its audience. They will consult with other VST members to develop editorial content and a production calendar. Filling this role will likely involve the production of multimedia material, including writing, producing, and editing, all of which should be done in consultation with other VST members.
- Studio Operations Support: Support Director of Production on basic technical and production tasks related to maintaining post-production facility and post-production workflows. Assist with maintenance of filming and post-production equipment. Maintain the Studio + Production Room in a clear and organized manner. Activities include encoding, exporting, and transferring video files, preparing assets for production, basic equipment maintenance, and support for film shoots.
- Media Asset Management System: Ingesting, logging, archiving, and retrieval of video, audio, still photography, and all media assets. Ensuring that all media assets logged are properly spelled, keyworded, and metadata verified. Service requests from across the organization for video footage. Assist in the collection and archiving of footage shot by third parties across the organization such as country program offices. Maintain and archive all licensed stock footage and music, tracking and archiving all materials licensing documents related.
- Studio Maintenance: The Video Editor will support and assist with video equipment maintenance, sending components for repair, scheduling technicians for on-site repair and maintenance, and maintaining the Studio + Production Room in a clean and organized manner.
- Production Admin Support: The Video Editor will coordinate, track and manage basic administrative and budgetary tasks as assigned, such as producing check request forms, vendor contract forms, submissions of work to film festivals, coordinating transcription and translation services as needed, procurement needs and basic film/video shoot scheduling and logistics.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- 10% domestic and international travel.
- Physical functions include the willingness and ability to assist in setting up field and studio video equipment (lights, stands, tripods, microphones, reflectors, furniture).
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. CI follows CDC recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience with working knowledge of production operations, including:
- Adobe Creative Cloud software such as Premiere Pro and After Effects
- Media management and video archiving best practices
- Scheduling and budget tracking
- Video storytelling as it relates to social media and interest in exploring emerging trends
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task.
- Must be a team player and have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity and basic knowledge of professional visual media platforms (video, film, photography, video blogs).
- Bachelor's degree in creative visual discipline such as motion graphic design, video production, broadcast journalism, or other pertinent visual media discipline.
- Experience creating short-form videos such as television promos, commercials, or PSAs that demonstrate a knowledge of fast-cut editing, visual effects, and short-form narrative; OR motion graphic design such as animated explainer videos, animated infographics, and motion graphic support to conventional production.
- Experience producing videos for key social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- CatDV Media Asset Management
- Adobe Lightroom for still photography archiving and delivery of photo assets.
- Strong working knowledge of any of the following: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesian, Mandarin
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE.
Conservation International is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility-committed employer. We are proud to have a diverse, global workforce where employment decisions are based on qualifications, experience, position requirements, business needs, market conditions, merit, and other legitimate nondiscriminatory factors.