Senior Director, Sustainable Fashion
Arlington, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Senior Director, Sustainable Fashion
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
The Senior Director position is responsible for leading the Fashion Program within CI’s Center for Sustainable Lands & Waters. The Fashion Program seeks to transform the fashion sector to sustainable production by designing and securing financing for innovative programs that drive the uptake of nature-positive commitments and investment portfolios within supply chains and across sourcing landscapes. The Senior Director leads a program that works one-on-one with corporations on nature-positive commitments, sustainable sourcing programs, and investment strategies and works with CI field programs to design and implement efforts that demonstrate the ability to transition agriculture-based textile production to sustainable systems. The position also works closely with CI’s Brand and Communications team, CI Field Programs, and CI-Europe. The position reports to the SVP of the Center for Sustainable Lands & Waters and will be responsible for managing two current staff members and any future hires that would be mapped to the Fashion Program.
As part of the Senior Director’s duties, they will be responsible for setting the vision for the program, fundraising for it, and developing and executing a strategy against it. Duties include designing and managing engagements with fashion sector partners, securing funding for the program, and serving as a subject matter expert & thought partner for CI colleagues on fashion.
Fashion Program Leadership & Management:
- Lead the development and implementation of the global fashion strategy for CI.
- Ensure sound fiscal management of the fashion program.
- Manage and coordinate a global team of fashion-focused professionals.
- Support SLW leadership to ensure fashion program goals are aligned with & contributing to the strategic direction of the Center and the broader CI strategy.
- Coordinate internal stakeholders to ensure regular communication about the fashion work, as well as to capture feedback on areas for improvement of the program, and/or new opportunities for engagement.
- Represent the fashion program at high-level, strategic events.
Fundraising & Partnership Engagement:
- Lead the development of major proposals with private and public sector partners.
- Cultivate new business opportunities with fashion sector stakeholders.
- Provide strategic thought leadership, representing CI at external events & forums.
Field Program Partnerships:
- Work with CI country programs to develop landscape-level fashion partnerships.
- Leverage relationships with corporate and NGO partners to develop opportunities in CI field programs and regional programs.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- This preferred location for this position is in the Arlington, Virginia HQ office however flexible arrangements can be made.
- The Sr Director will travel internationally and domestically to support the Fashion Program (<25% of the time).
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. CI follows CDC recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (international development, agronomy, business administration, conservation biology, etc.).
- 10 or more years of experience working on sustainability issues, preferably in fashion and agriculture raw materials feeding that sector (5+ years of field experience and 5+ years of work in the private sector).
- Hands-on experience in project management.
- Experience leading the development and management of program budgets.
- Experience leading the development of concepts, proposals, and agreements.
- Highly developed ability to synthesize and communicate information to businesses and other stakeholder groups.
- Experience with participatory approaches, multi-stakeholder engagement, and community building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in French, Spanish or Portuguese.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled